Author Topic: How to Make a Staff Curry  (Read 81787 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
How to Make a Staff Curry
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:34 PM »
This has to be 0ne of the best currys i have ever had.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMDsaXLqFZI
A picture of just the gravy/curry.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:49 PM by Admin »

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make a Staff Currry
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:53 PM »
Not unlike the staff currys at my own takeaway and your right they are better than the ones on the menu..The only difference with mine is the addition of cumin seeds at the beginning with the aromatic spices..we don't use water, if needed we use more oil..They cook everything on the bone..I think every staff curry's must be similar all over..Our pre cooked chicken is made roughly in the same way.. we would then add that to the base sauce..excellent video thoroughly  enjoyed it

Boaby

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53 AM »
So basically Chris, you've made a traditional Indian chicken curry. And you say its one of the best curries you've ever had. Funny  ;D and good for you!  :)
It just goes to show, a good curry is a good curry regardless.  ;)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Not unlike the staff currys at my own takeaway and your right they are better than the ones on the menu..The only difference with mine is the addition of cumin seeds at the beginning with the aromatic spices..we don't use water, if needed we use more oil..They cook everything on the bone..I think every staff curry's must be similar all over..Our pre cooked chicken is made roughly in the same way.. we would then add that to the base sauce..excellent video thoroughly  enjoyed it

Boaby

Thanks Boaby glad you enjoyed the video, i was shown and told to use water to stop the onions from burning. Also the time it takes for the onions to cook, the whole spices have time to release their full flavor.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:26 AM »
So basically Chris, you've made a traditional Indian chicken curry. And you say its one of the best curries you've ever had. Funny  ;D and good for you!  :)
It just goes to show, a good curry is a good curry regardless.  ;)

I suppose it is a traditional Indian chicken curry, what i love is how its made and the time it takes.
The flavor is so more'ish and if it was on a TA menu it would be the one i order every time.
First time i had it at the TA i used a fork to eat it, the second time i used my fingers like the other guys.
If you have never eaten a curry with your fingers you're missing out, i have not got a clue why the curry seems to taste better but it does :-\

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Hi Chris!

If you have never eaten a curry with your fingers you're missing out, i have not got a clue why the curry seems to taste better but it does :-\

It's because you avoid the metal in your mouth ,)

Looks good (: Never heard of "staff curry" before, but it makes absolute sense!

Greetings!

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 11:52 AM »
Hi Chris!

It's because you avoid the metal in your mouth ,)

Looks good (: Never heard of "staff curry" before, but it makes absolute sense!

Greetings!
your right Chris using water does stop the onions from burning i'll keep that in mind, it's just that my chef justadd more oil if is starts to stick.he cooks the the spices for at leasts a hour before adding the chicken giving the spices more time to mature..they don't seem to bother if it sticks to the bottom infact i think they deliberately let it stick and scrape it back into the mix.. just the way you would scrape the sides off when making BIR curry because thats where all the flavour is..The same principle is used in a staff curry..i've said to them when making their staff curry it's starting to burn and have told me to leave it they want that to happen.. strangley there is no burnt taste to the final dish..when they add the onions spices etc they stick a lid on it and just leave it and come back to it every so often and if it needs anything they just add more oil...another on of my favourite staff currys is Spinache chcken i'm sure your chef does one aswell........happy cooking Chris......Boaby1

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make a Staff Curry
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Good Vid H4ppy.
You can knock this up a lot quicker using your pressure cooker.
Once you've done the Bagar, add the Chicken wings, a mug of water or thin Garabi
lid on, high heat to bring the pressure up, cook under pressure for 10 mins on medium heat.

Loads of versions of this basic recipe, you could try my Bengali Chicken Roast
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,7846.msg68680.html#msg68680
Bengali Bob posted a Shatkora version here
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11911.msg94792.html#msg94792

Takes a lot of practice to eat curry and rice with your fingers, but
the main point is your feeling what you eat and your not swallowing bits of bone with every
bite.
Left handers, need not apply for this ;D

cheers Chewy

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:29 PM »
Good Vid H4ppy.
Once you've done the Bagar, add the Chicken wings, a mug of water or thin Garabi
lid on, high heat to bring the pressure up, cook under pressure for 10 mins on medium heat.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,7846.msg68680.html#msg68680
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11911.msg94792.html#msg94792

the main point is your feeling what you eat and your not swallowing bits of bone with every
bite.

cheers Chewy
[/quoteI work along side two other indian chefs and have never once seen them eating rice..It's either a nan or a chappti to soak up the curry..never in millon years would they use utencils..People say they could never eat a curry without rice, many Indians rarely do...Well from my experience anyway..I have staff currys frequently, and never with rice, just a chappati..i'ts a tottaly a new experience, i love it...cheers Boaby

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Good Vid H4ppy.

bite.

cheers Chewy

cheers chewy for the links. The guys at the TA make eating with there hands look so easy. They make like a ball and just flick it into there mouth. I am still trying to make the ball lol they are trying to show me how, when they stop laughing.

©2024 Curry Recipes