Author Topic: Dipuraja's Mix Powder  (Read 12089 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dipuraja's Mix Powder
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:26 AM »
From Dipuraja's YouTube video's here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/dipuraja1#p/u/2/ZuD3l0b6ep0

Original thread posted by GulfExpat here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4352.msg39760;topicseen#msg39760

Mix Powder:

Ingredients:

- 2 measures* of curry powder (unspecified type or brand - use any decent mild or medium one)
- 2 measures of ground cumin
- 2 measures of ground coriander
- 2 measures of ground paprika
- 3 measures of ground tumeric
- 1 measure of ground garam masala

Method:

Simply mix all ingredients well and store in a clean, dry, airtight container out of direct sunlight and in a dry area.

Notes:

*measure - any suitable measuring implement (e.g. teaspoon, tablespoon, cup, etc)

Video link here: 

How to make mix powder
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:24 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Mix Powder
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:30 PM »
quite an interesting mix having both curry powder and garam.

the Kushi mix is the only one i know of that contains garam but as such i've never included it.

the closest i've tried is DD (no garam though) and that's real good (Secret Santa's is quite close too).

got to be worth a try on this mix. the inclusion of the garam might just work enabling a small amount to be added to each curry to add depth of flavour without overpowering.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:50 PM »
hi jerry the spice mix powder i use from Mouchak uses garam masala but only 1/2 measure.
Mouchak mix powder
6pts curry powder
4pts turmeric
2pts coriander
1pts cummin
1pt chilli powder
1/2pt garam masala

will post the rest of the recipes i have from them when i have typed them up

regards
gary :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:30 AM »
parker21,

many thanks. i intend having a sort of spice journey. more for interest than need. i'll give this a try. i like the coriander balance and interested in the higher curry powder proportion.

best wishes,

Offline Yakmandoo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Hi guys with the recent addition of IFINDFORU's spice mix i couldnt help but noticing that all the key elements are the same as DIPS ive been using Dips base and spice mix now for the last 2 months and ill have to say its BIR (well to my taste buds anyways), ive made Chewys madras with it and just added salt,Kashmiri Mirch and sugar all i can say is awesome!!!!
      The two things that i have changed about Dips recipes are the salt levels and the method with which he cooks the base gravy, ive adopted chewys re cooking after blending method and also added 1 level tbs of sugar and for my ten penneth ive cracked it :D , i dont want to stand in the way of progress but i feel we all ready had a decent spice mix it had just been overlooked .

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:11 PM »
I'll have to re-visit Dip's videos,some of his cooking methods were a bit stange to me,it's a shame he doesn't post anything new.I've just noticed just how similar his spice mix is to my original spice mix given to me by abdul on my home lessons.Apart from the chilli powder the ingredients and quantities are pretty much the same.

Dips
------

2 measures* of curry powder (unspecified type or brand - use any decent mild or medium one)

Jb's/Abdul's
---------------

100g mild madras curry powder
100g Paprika
200g Haldi(Turmeric)
100g Dhaniya(ground coriander)
100g chilli powder
50g jerra(cumin)
50g Gram Masala

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:14 AM »
I'll have to re-visit Dip's videos,some of his cooking methods were a bit stange to me,it's a shame he doesn't post anything new.I've just noticed just how similar his spice mix is to my original spice mix given to me by abdul on my home lessons.Apart from the chilli powder the ingredients and quantities are pretty much the same.

Dips
------

2 measures* of curry powder (unspecified type or brand - use any decent mild or medium one)

Jb's/Abdul's
---------------

100g mild madras curry powder
100g Paprika
200g Haldi(Turmeric)
100g Dhaniya(ground coriander)
100g chilli powder
50g jerra(cumin)
50g Gram Masala

Take the chilli powder out of the equation and you're left with

QuantitiesCorriander cumin   tumeric    paprika   curry powder   garam   tandoori powder
Dips         17%       17%       25%       17%           17%             8%    0%
Abdul's         16%       8%       32%       16%           16%           8%             4%
ifindforu         12%       12%       29%       12%            29%          6%

Turmeric vs cumin.  My preference being the former :D.  The other differences are negligible.  And Ifindforu's isn't a million miles away either ???

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 07:53 AM »
I'm not sure why tandoori powder crept into Abdhul's latest spice mix he posted on here.It wasn't in the original one he gave to me on my lessons,very strange.

©2024 Curry Recipes