Author Topic: My Dhansak  (Read 54254 times)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
My Dhansak
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:03 PM »
Hi. This recipe started as a Pathia recipe (not mine, Curried Away) but I have adapted it to get as close as I can to my local curry house Dhansak. This one is pretty close and I would say that it just needs to be a little stronger in garlic. I use lime juice as I think it gives a slightly richer and more perfumed flavour than lemon. The base is JB's base which I now do in the pressure cooker for the first stage and Curry2go (although I use a mix of curry powders, Rajah and TRS) mix powder. My tomato puree is made using double concentrate puree, passata, water and a little TRS tandoori masala. This recipe is without pineapple which is how it is here in the southeast. All measurements are with measuring spoons. I have included a picture, my only memory, as I ate the lot!

Ingredients (In order of use)
2 TBS Oil     
1 Tsp Garlic Paste 
0.5 Tsp Methi Leaves   
1 TBS Tomato Puree (diluted)
1 TBS Mix Powder
1-2 Tsp Deggi Mirch (to taste)
0.25 Tsp Garam Masala (Rajah)
0.25 Tsp Salt   
150ml Base Gravy 
6-8 Pieces Precooked Chicken or Chicken Tikka 
Juice of 1 Lime 
1 TBS Sugar
2 Tsp Shakkar
Handful chopped Coriander
0.5 Cup (dry measure) Precooked Split Red Lentils
1.5  Tsp Mango Chutney 
150ml Base Gravy
2 Tsp Pineapple Juice
0.5 Tsp Butter Ghee (optional)
Coriander and a slice of lemon or lime to garnish

Method
Heat the oil on a medium low heat. Add the Garlic paste and cook out the moisture. Add the tomato and methi. When the sizzling reduces add Mix powder, Deggi Mirch, Garam Masala and salt, mix well and add a touch of base to loosen the mix. Allow the spices to singe then add first ladle of base. Stir well, turn up heat to high and reduce sauce. Add chicken, mix and then squeeze in the lime juice, sugar and Shakkar. Add Coriander and two thirds of the lentils. Mix well and stir in the mango chutney. Add the second ladle of base and the rest of the lentils and cook until the sauce reduces to desired consistency then add the pineapple juice and mix. Reduce heat and add the Ghee. Garnish with coriander and lime.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:24 PM by SoberRat »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: My Dhansak
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Hi SoberRat

That is a lovely looking curry you have made yourself there 8)

I am going to give your recipe a go!

I'm not sure about the "Shakkar" though. In your opinion would any rich brown sugar be OK, or do I need to track down something that specifically says "Shakkar"?

Thanks

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Looks very nice SoberRat. Just need a naan and I could quite happily trough that now.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:23 AM »
I'm not sure about the "Shakkar" though. In your opinion would any rich brown sugar be OK, or do I need to track down something that specifically says "Shakkar"?

I took "shakkar" to perhaps be a personal spelling of "shatkora" rather than any reference to sugar; was I mistaken ?
** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:56 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54 AM »
'Gur shakkar' = natural sugar

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:17 PM »
It seems that shakkar is one of those English words as would be pronounced by a native Indian speaker along the same lines as how gravy became gahrabi. Anyway it is in fact jaggery but usually roughly granulated rather than as a block.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 05:27 PM »
That looks absolutely delicious.  Certainly my kind of texture.   I possibly feel a dhansak coming on sometime soon :P

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 05:29 PM »
It seems that shakkar is one of those English words as would be pronounced by a native Indian speaker along the same lines as how gravy became gahrabi. Anyway it is in fact jaggery but usually roughly granulated rather than as a block.

What a treasure-trove of useful facts this forum is.  A great deal of further relevant information/facts here.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:23 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Hi guys. Sorry, I've been unable to get to the forum until now. Shakkar is an unrefined sugar and I think any brown sugar would do. This stuff is not hugely sweet but gives a nice, nutty flavour. I got it from a local Asian store.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 08:27 AM »

That is correct SS, it is Jaggery.

©2024 Curry Recipes