Author Topic: Chicken Madras from scratch  (Read 13429 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Madras from scratch
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:00 PM »

Ingredients

1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons tumeric
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of salt

2 large onions - i have tried red and white onions - both lovely
knob of butter
4 tablespoons of veg oil
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
220 Grams of tomatoes chopped - i use italian tinned
120 ml chicken stock - i use 1 stock cube and mix with boiling water till dissolved
half a tablespoon of tomatoe puree

Method

Chop the 2 onions very finely

Add the oil and butter to a non stick pan and heat up
add the onions and fry till golden brown - dont burn
add in the spices and garlic and fry for 1 minute and mix into the onions
add the tomatoes and chicken stock plus tomatoe puree

Cook for 40 - 50 minutes till you have a thick sauce - add water if required

Add large handful of finely chopped baby spinach and let to wilt
Add precooked meat
Add 4 tablespoons creme de fresh
Add 2 tablespoons mango chutney
add 3 finely chopped green chillies and continue to cook for ten minutes

Serve

Garry

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras from scratch
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:52 PM »
forgot to add the below

1/2 tsp cinnamon powder

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Sorry, I have to give this the Big Thumbs Down.  Anything less like a Madras is hard to imagine.  The dish was severely under-spiced, the oil did not come out, there was five times more sauce than was needed, and overall it is hard to find anything positive to say.  Sorry.

** Phil.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:56 AM »
I'll be honest Phil, I cant even remember this dish and wouldn't make it either, I now swear by the Glasgow base and madras recipe, if you have time try it, I believe Haldi also uses it now. I have the pdf if you want a copy let me know

Garry

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Thank you very much for not taking my comments personally, Garry (they were certainly not intended that way).  I will indeed try the Glasgow base/Madras (I will check later whether I already have the PDF, and let you know if I do not) but tonight (if I have time) I am going to repeat your approach but with considerable adjustments to the quantities and spicing.  A baseless recipe is always interesting for those times when one is desperate for a curry but has no base, and I am minded to use the CA "Chicken Madras" recipe to which I referred recently in another thread, with the Kitchen King substitution, but modified to use your technique of making the sauce on the fly.

** Phil.

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Gazman would you mind sending me the pdf for the glasgow base and madras...

Never tried using a glasgow base so if you and others recommend it I'd love to give it a go.

cheers

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 06:52 PM »
I now swear by the Glasgow base and madras recipe, if you have time try it, I believe Haldi also uses it now. I have the pdf if you want a copy let me know

Gary is the base and madras recipe any different from the Glasgow recipes that are already on this forum? And which particular variation of the Glasgow base (from the 3 or so on here) is it if they are not? If it is different I wouldn't mind a copy of the PDF either.

Cheers.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:57 PM »

Gary is the base and madras recipe any different from the Glasgow recipes that are already on this forum? And which particular variation of the Glasgow base (from the 3 or so on here) is it if they are not? If it is different I wouldn't mind a copy of the PDF either.

Cheers.

the 1 I have is the 4KG version of the base, the so called secret is to cook the base long enough until the onions sweeten, if you follow it exactly you will get a very good curry, the madras is lovely, if you like kormas which I make for the kids then the korma is spot on also, I haven't tried any others yet TBH as busy working. if you send me your email I will forward it on, don't think Fred from the other forum will mind as he has quit it now due to cyber bullies

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:23 PM »
I'll be honest Phil, I cant even remember this dish and wouldn't make it either

Would it be better to delete this thread then, if everyone agrees the recipe is non-worthwhile?

Did you feel it was good when you first posted it, or did you change your mind sometime later?

As for the Glasgow pdf I assume that's the same document which was for sale in Kindle format until very recently on amazon. Now, the author seems to have removed the publication, for some reason.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 09:18 PM »
yeah u can delete it George, looks the same kindle version, however here have been several updates to the book, Alex works in the kitchen and finds out stuff then updates the book and resends it out, I am very happy with it. I know he was ridiculed on here with his base changing all the time, but he is only getting the info then telling us. As I said I am very happy with my base and results now

©2024 Curry Recipes