Author Topic: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!  (Read 127718 times)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Cheers Bob

Maybe you should edit the recipe to reflect this, as there is no mention of when the g/g puree should be added.

Martin

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Hi Martin,

There's nowhere for me to open edit now that it has been read, so I guess readers will just have to assume when to do this, as it is pretty common to add the G&G at this stage :)

Regards,

Bob

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Ah ok, I thought you could just hit the modify button for your own posts to edit them? :-\

Not sure if beginners could/would make that assumption though, hence my suggestion to edit the recipe.

Cheers
Martin

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 06:35 PM »
I just cooked up 4 double batches of this for tomorrow night. It's really interesting to see the difference in taste between the batches, using identical ingredients.

The first i used too much onion at too low temperature and it didn't have 'the taste'. The next batches were fine but there were still different levels of quality.

Cooking on induction is a bastard.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Thanks for the recipe 976,

I made it to just about to spec apart from I used chewys base sauce,  I also precooked the lamb in the slow cooker for 6 hours in all the base sauce.  Made a superb curry, as authentic as I have ever made. 

again thanks :D

Will

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Thanks for the recipe 976,

I made it to just about to spec apart from I used chewys base sauce,  I also precooked the lamb in the slow cooker for 6 hours in all the base sauce.  Made a superb curry, as authentic as I have ever made. 

again thanks :D

Will

Hi Will,

To be honest, having tried quite a few base sauces on here, there isn't really that much difference in them, and I don't mean that in a negative way or to be derogatory to anyone, what it means is, that as far as bases are concerened, I think everyone is now producing BIR quality standard base sauces, and the difference in them is probably down to region, much like there are different regions of cooking in India.

So, whether you use Chewy's base, CA's, Taz's or anyone elses, your still going to produce a good BIR curry.

I'm glad you liked the recipe, I have to try it myself with Lamb as Lamb Bhuna is my favourite. Now I have a little bit of time on my hands, I will be trying this myself pretty soon :)

Well done on achieving an authentic curry :)

Offline benbob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Brilliant dish :) I use Khris Dhillons base but with 1  carrot, half a green pepper and coriander stalks. Its not the same as a Bhuna from my T/A (that doesnt mean its wrong though!) but it really is a very very good curry and 1 I will make again very soon.

Thanks for all the effort 976 this is the first mani dish I have cooked from this forum and it really has set a high standard :)

Offline diesel

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2012, 10:21 AM »
Ok am going to give this a go tonight  ;D Ill let you know how I get on ..

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Brilliant dish :) I use Khris Dhillons base but with 1  carrot, half a green pepper and coriander stalks. Its not the same as a Bhuna from my T/A (that doesnt mean its wrong though!) but it really is a very very good curry and 1 I will make again very soon.

Thanks for all the effort 976 this is the first mani dish I have cooked from this forum and it really has set a high standard :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it Benbob. It's even better with Mutton :)

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 12:08 AM »
Made this Chicken Bhuna the other night. Really enjoyed it. First time i've used star anise in a BIR final dish but definitely added something positive to the flavour. Tried a new method of pre-cooking chicken which worked well too.
Diced up some chicken thighs and sealed them off in a hot wok for a min or 2 with a sprinkle of turmeric until they start to colour, then popped in the steamer for 10 mins, result was perfectly tender.

©2024 Curry Recipes