Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Bhoona  (Read 25047 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Bhoona
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:20 AM »

To make chicken tikka bhuna you will need 1cheff spoon of vagetable oil,1chopped onion,1quater chopped green pepper,half teaspoon blended garlic and Ginger,pinch of salt,half teaspoon of methi leaves,1tablespoon of mixed powder,1& half tablespoon of tomato puree,half of chopped tomato add the tikka,6cheff spoon of base gravy mix it well cook 4-5mins on high gas mark then garnish with coriander.

Dipuraja's "mixed powder" here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4354.0

Dipuraja's "base gravy" here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4375.0

How to make tikka bhuna

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Bhoona
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:25 PM »
He's consistant, i'll give him that :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:23 AM »
i've got onion on my mind at the mo (since the Birmingham balti video and the flames).

i can't believe the onion is cooked in the 4 mins when heating all the ingredients up together. onion seems to need a big chunk of heat intially to get it going. it does cook out in the sauce but it takes a lot longer than 4 mins without this initial high heat frying in plenty of oil.

this suggests to me that the onion is processed in some way - i'm thinking salt (onion bhajis softening). very small proportion of green pepper which i can understand.

ps i love his portions - nothing more upsetting than a part filled container when u get home.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:41 AM »
a further general thought.

i know that my local TA keep their gravy boiling away during service.

at home down to practicalities i've always used it cold. for me it makes no difference hot or cold. the only thing i find is that the cold need's adding in smaller amounts intially so that there is no dip in the pans heat.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:59 PM »
That looks the worst Bhuna I have ever seen in my life!!! Bhuna should be a Medium, Rich, Thick consistency!! this looks more like SOUP!!!! :(

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Couldn't agree more 976bar. His definition of bhuna, which seems to be shared by many on this forum, seems to be a basic curry with added onion/pepper/tomato chunks!

Nasty.

I have to disagree with Jerry, Mikka and axe as to the quality of this guys curries. They seem to me to be low-quality standard takeaway curries and not something we should be aiming to replicate.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I think you're right Jerry about the onions. When I make a bhuna/korai style curry I deep fry the onions and peppers for a few minutes and put them to one side.

Another observation is the fact that he has quite a few litres of base in a plastic container. To me this means that he never heats it up as I can't see the point of him tranferring it back to a metal pot.

Paul.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Has anyone actually tried this recipe?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Has anyone actually tried this recipe?

As it look nothing like a Bhuna, I am sure it won't taste like one either.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:47 PM »
His Madras wasn't that bad at all, I don't have his burner though. His Bahjis were fabulous too.

As it look nothing like a Bhuna, I am sure it won't taste like one either.

©2024 Curry Recipes