Author Topic: Chicken Jalfarazi / Lamb Jalfarazi  (Read 17134 times)

Offline jimmyja

• Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Jalfarazi / Lamb Jalfarazi
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:23 PM »
Chicken Jalfarazi / Lamb Jalfarazi

3 ladles of base sauce (New base sauce recipe) I found this to be exellent! :D

I might add that I have tried this base twice now. Regarding the new base the 2nd time I made it I only added half a tablespoon of chilli powder and half the paprika.

1 Large chicken breast cut into 12 pieces
3 quarters of an onion cut into quarters
1 Green pepper de seed and cut into 8.
1 Red pepper deseeded and cut into 8.
4 green chillies spilt.

2 Cloves of garlic, bashed up with a half teaspoon of salt. 1/2 table spoon of garlic puree.

1 Teaspoon of spice mix
1/2 Teaspoon of coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon of Ginger powder
1/2 Teaspoon chilli powder. Adjust to taste.
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne. Adjust to taste.

Mix the above spices and set to one side.

2 Teaspoonfuls of dry methi.
1 Handful fresh chopped coriander

1 Tomato cut into 8 pieces.

1.   Heat base sauce and then add chicken and simmer with a lid on for about 8 mins or until just cooked. Stir every 2 minutes just so it doesn?t stick. It shouldn?t because of the oil in the base.
2.   Remove chicken and keep to one side.
3.   Heat 2 table spoons of vegetable oil. When hot add three quarters of the onion. Stir fry for a minute or so then add 4 pieces of green pepper and 4 pieces of red pepper. Add the fresh green chilli's and stir fry for a min or so.
4.   Add garlic puree. Stir fry for 1 minute
5.   Now add the spice mix and stir fry for a min or two stir frying all of the time.
6.   Add ladle of base sauce and evaporate off.
7.   Add ladle of base sauce and evaporate off.
8.   Add pre cooked chicken, then the fresh chopped coriander and methi and stir through.
9.   Add the chopped tomatoes.
10.   Add the final ladle of base sauce and cook on medium heart for about 3-4 minutes.

Lamb Jalfrezi

To make a lamb Jalfrezi I use exactly the same method above however I cook diced leg of lamb covered with water in a pressure cooker for about 20 minutes with two cloves of crushed garlic and half a teaspoon of salt. I also reserve the lamb stock.

At step one 1 just heat the base sauce. At step 8, I just add the pre cooked lamb. I also add just touch of lamb stock.

If you want to make chicken Tikka Jalfrezi then pre cook chicken tikka and add at step 8.

Serve with Rice Nan and some fresh chopped coriander on top of the curry.

Please give it a try it I brought some into work today and everyone was very very impressed!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Jalfarazi / Lamb Jalfarazi
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing this with us Jimmyja  8)

A couple of questions:

- are you saying the spice mix is the mixture of corinander, ginger, chilli and cayenne?

- If so, it seems a little unusual?  Where did you get it from can I ask?

- But you may be saying it's spice mix PLUS the above? 

- In which case, which spice mix is it please?

Thanks Jimmyja!

Offline jimmyja

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Hi, my spice mix I use is as followes,

4 Tablespoons ground coriander.
3 ? tablespoons of turmeric.
2 ? tablespoons of ground cumin.
1 Tablespoon of Paprika.
2 Tablespoons of curry powder.

When making this curry I use 1 teaspoon of spice mix then the following.

1/2 Teaspoon of coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon of Ginger powder
1/2 Teaspoon chilli powder. Adjust to taste.
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne. Adjust to taste.

I dont know why I did it like that it just seemed like a good idea at the time. It works for me  :)

Offline SKAZE

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:15 PM »
Hey, couple of questions about this if any one could help me.

What is meant by the term " Add ladle of base sauce and evaporate off "

Also at the start when you say add base sauce and cook chicken, is it all of the base sauce, then reserve after taking the chicken out to add back later?

Thankyou   :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:40 PM by SKAZE »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:23 PM »
What is meant by the term " Add ladle of base sauce and evaporate off "

Also at the start when you say add base sauce and cook chicken, is it all of the base sauce, then reserve after taking the chicken out to add back later?

Thankyou   :)

Hi Skaze, you just add a ladle of base sauce and allow the water from it to evaporate, reducing it to a thicker consistency. The whole chicken cooking thing in the recipe is pretty abnormal. I personally try to keep away from home made recipes like this one and go for recipes which use BIR kitchen techniques. There are a couple of more standard Jalfrezis on the site.

Try this one, substituting any other pre cooked meat for the king prawns if desired.

Offline SKAZE

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:37 PM »
Thanks mate, im going to have  look at hat one now.

What size laddle do you use please?>  8)

One more question whilst your around, do you think this jalfrezi would work with the basic bruce base, i know it wouldnt be as good but ive got some ready made and really wanna have a good at this recipie tomo.?

Thanks again bobby  :)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 11:10 PM »
What size laddle do you use please?>  8)

One more question whilst your around, do you think this jalfrezi would work with the basic bruce base, i know it wouldnt be as good

Hi Skaze,

I just have a standard ladle and have no idea what volume it holds. I just aim for the same volume and consistency as I would expect from a take away. Can't see much better than that in my opinion.

The Bruce Edwards base will turn out that recipe very well indeed I would imagine, as it would many others.

Offline cslgirl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:37 PM »
I made some chicken tikka the other evening and wanted to add a jalfrezi.  I did CA's base mix which I used for your Jalfrezi mix.  I used hot chilli powder and wow, it was an amazing curry with lots of flavour. I don't think I can warrant buying another from my local curry house all the while I can make them like your recipes. Some pics below:

Used the oven rather than BBQ for the tikka this evening:

Making the base:

[iimg]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs123.ash2/39491_418109835212_563165212_5284886_4027464_n.jpg[/img]

Jalfrezi

[/img]

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 09:53 PM »
i will be honest here , the base doesnt look correct and the right colour when cooking , did you use all the ingredients for ca's base , and the resultant curry doesnt look good , keep up the good work though as we always appreciate fellow members trying hard

garry

Offline cslgirl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Wow you have a good eye lol!  I didn't have all the ingredients for the base curry i.e. methi leaves and I was a tbs short on the paprika as I ran out.  I must admit, it tasted really nice though.  Have made an order online for the missing ingredients that  I haven't been able to find here so hopefully my next effort will look better.

Also just remembered I used home grown sungold tomatos in the base curry which may or may not affect the colour?

©2024 Curry Recipes