Author Topic: AST's Chicken/Lamb Jalfrezi  (Read 15485 times)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
AST's Chicken/Lamb Jalfrezi
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:13 AM »
This is my current version of a Jalfrezi.  It is based on merging aspects of all the different Jalfrezi recipes and information I could find both here on the forum as well as on the Web.  It has currently been tested successfully with the Saffron curry base (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.0.html), but any other mildly-spiced base should work equally well, however you may need to add up to 1 tsp of salt to the final dish.  I make both a chicken and lamb version of this dish, depending on my mood and who it's for, with equally good results.

AST's Chicken/Lamb Jalfrezi

200ml curry base
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cooking onion, chopped
1/4 green pepper, sliced
1/4 red pepper, sliced
1/2 tomato, sliced into 4 wedges
2 tbsp minced garlic (approx 2-4 cloves, depending on their size)
60-80g pre-cooked lamb or chicken
60ml of broth from pre-cooked meat
1 heaped tbsp tomato puree
8 small green chillies, sliced as desired
2 heaped tsp extra hot chilli powder
1/4 tsp amchoor
1 large pinch of dried methi leaves
2 1/4 tsp spice mix (see note 1)
2-3 tsp lemon juice

METHOD

Heat a heavy pan on high heat until hot.  Add the oil to the pan and let it heat to just before smoking.  Add onion, garlic, peppers and chillies and stir-fry until the onion begins to change color.  Add the spice mix and amchoor to the pan and fry, being careful not to burn them, until you can't breathe and then continue to cook them a bit longer, adding a little base if necessary.

Add the curry base and stir to evenly mix the spices and vegetables with the base, ensuring that none of the vegetables stick together and there are no clumps of spice.  Stir in the tomato paste.  When mixed well, add in the pre-cooked meat and broth.  Stir to cover the meat in the sauce, bring back to the boil and reduce the heat to medium.  After about 5 minutes, stir in the dried methi and tomato wedges.  Reduce to desired consistency (approx 5 minutes).

Stir in lemon juice, sprinkle with coriander leaves (freshly chopped or dry) and serve.

Note 1:

Any "restaurant style" spice mix can probably be used here, depending on personal preference.  I have developed my version of this dish using an individual portion of "Haldi's Takeaway" Spice Mix as relayed by Haldi and used by the takeaway where he gets all his demos.  For this dish, you may use:

"Haldi's Takeaway" Spice Mix (Individual Portion)

1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Madras curry powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin

VARIATIONS

The amount of chillies and chilli powder should be varied to taste.  I've found that this works for me, but when I make it for my guests, I cut the chillies down to 2-3 and use between 1/2 and 3/4 tsp of extra hot chilli powder.

With the Saffron curry base, no additional salt is required.  However, other bases may require the addition of salt to fully bring out the flavor in this dish.  I would not add over 1 tsp, even if the base has no salt at all.

For a drier version of this dish, reduce the amount of curry base used between 50-80ml.

Finished Lamb Jalfrezi, Ready to Serve

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: AST's Chicken/Lamb Jalfrezi
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Looks very nice AST well done

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Thats looking pretty tasty, I can imagine having a warm naan to scoop some out, drool..

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 05:41 PM »
looks great AST. think this might be next one to try out!.  ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Nice one Ast.
Looks very hot ! mmmmmm :P

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Hi Ast  ;), nice one. I have put this on my never ending "to do" list.  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 07:53 AM »
Posted by AST

Hi vmixture,

Welcome to cr0.  It looks like you've been pretty busy reading! ;D

Good luck with the recipes.  Hopefully the jalfrezi will turn out well for you.  One thing I'm doing now with it (having mixed up a bigger batch of the spice mix) is to use 1 tbsp of spice mix and 1 tbsp of extra hot chilli powder plus 8-10 of the fresh green finger chillies.  It turns out pretty consistent for me.

As everyone else already said, any questions, just shout.  If you make your big menu, don't forget to take pictures and let us know how they all turn out.

Happy currying! ;D

ast

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:54 AM »
Posted by vmixture

Hi ast,

Is it a case of just simply replacing the '2 1/4 tsp spice mix' and the '2 heaped tsp extra hot chilli powder' with a tbsp of each instead (and adding the chillies)?

Thanks

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 08:05 AM »
Posted by AST

Hi ast,

Is it a case of just simply replacing the '2 1/4 tsp spice mix' and the '2 heaped tsp extra hot chilli powder' with a tbsp of each instead (and adding the chillies)?

Thanks

Yep!  Exactly correct, vmixture.

Posted by vmixture (including photos)

Ok heres a little update

Pre cooked chicked based loosly on *Chilli Prawns* method (I had some pre mixed spice which wasnt quite the same as the mix but near enough)

And some Pilau rice exactly using the method supplied by *Cory Ander*. So once im ready I'll be using the *AST's* Jalfrezi to go with *Sns's* base. Never before have i relied on so many different people for one meal  :o

More pics later  ;D

Makes things a bit easier (and a tad hotter too...) ;D

Posted by SnS

Never before have i relied on so many different people for one meal  :o

Good luck!
On the positive side, if it's not the best curry you've ever cooked, we (CA + SnS + Ast + CP) can all take a share of the flak  ::)

Regards

SnS  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:47 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:22 PM »
Posted by vmixture

Absolutely fabulous, definately something I would have enjoyed at a restaurant. Good texture, the meat just fell apart and the rice was delicious. Only 2 things went slightly wrong, an un-noticed bubble of red dye gave the rice a slight pink colour (my fault) and I will reduce the oil a little next time as I can see myself using this a lot and it wont be good for the waistband!

So I ended up making the chicken jalfrezi for me and a milder prawn version the the other half. Basically it was the same procedure but i subbed a tablespoon of extra hot chilli powder for a teaspoon of mild. I also didnt put any green chillies in it. However it still managed to blow her away  :o she loved the flavour but complained about the heat. Any tips (apart from removing the teaspoon of mild chilli powder) to reduce the heat?

She is allergic to yoghert so thats out of the question.

Anyway, here is the evidence of a wonderful meal. Thanks to all who contributed with recipes and tips.

©2024 Curry Recipes