Author Topic: Best Curry Pan Yet!!!  (Read 21961 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best Curry Pan Yet!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Aluminium doesn't give you Alzheimers. The theory (and that's all it ever was) has been completely dismissed

Chris Exley, professor in bioinorganic chemistry based at Keele University disagrees with you Haaldi as do many other authorities on the subject: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4047426/Aluminium-DOES-cause-Alzheimer-s-Expert-says-new-findings-confirm-metal-devastating-brain-disease.html   (apologies for linking to a Dail Fail piece!)

Anyway the point is that an aluminium pan is not needed to create BIR curries so why take the chance.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Doesn't history tell us the original cooking pan of preference from the Balti triangle was thin pressed steel? This contradicts the theory of aluminium being an absolute necessity. My guess would be that aluminium pans are used for more mundane reasons due mainly to economics.

As a good thermal conductor it is faster to heat, Less gas and time spent waiting is more profit and therfore good business sense. Being lighter in weight saves energy, both human and heat, not that I'm suggesting the curry chef will tire more readily by using steel pans. Also as a relatively soft, and malleable material, easily formed into pan shape using the spinning process, aluminium pans are very cheap to manufacture. I think the shallow shape of the omelette pan is also a pertinent factor as well, hence, it's common use.

My pressed steel woks get plenty hot over the gas hob but I'm going to buy some aluminium curry pans anyway for all of the stated reasons which are just as valid in the home.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Very happy with my Lidl copper-bottomed shallow stainless-steel pan at the moment (it certainly did the business for Bob's bhuna chicken) but only time will tell if it is as satisfactory for dishes requiring a higher temperature or superior heat-retention.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes