Author Topic: adding cream or coconut?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline rasseru

• Chef
    • View Profile
adding cream or coconut?
« on: June 30, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Anyone add cream or coconut?   (i'm talking basic 'curry', not kormas/pathia etc)

Just wondered how much and when if so for nice results

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: adding cream or coconut?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:38 PM »
I always add some coconut to the base now. It adds a nice sweetness but I don't add so much that it's obvious that there's coconut in there. Oh, and I use coconut block not powder.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:54 PM »
I have an intense dislike of all nuts, whether they are true nuts or no, but my dislike is obviously psychosomatic rather than real since for many years I used to enjoy a nice chicken Ceylon until one day I discovered that it contained coconut; thereafter the texture of the coconut was all too obvious, and I could never bring myself to eat it again.  So no, I don't use coconut, and I also don't use cream (other than in coffee).

** Phil.

Offline rasseru

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 12:12 AM »
I always add some coconut to the base now. It adds a nice sweetness but I don't add so much that it's obvious that there's coconut in there. Oh, and I use coconut block not powder.

Yeah i did that with my last base & it worked OK.

I like the block too, great for Thai

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:48 PM »
As I recall Panpot's thread on the Ashoka base includes coconut block.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:02 PM »
As I recall Panpot's thread on the Ashoka base includes coconut block.
They take pride in the base and believe it is critical,without it being perfect all else is worthless. It contains amongst other things tomato puree (White Tower Brand) but any should do, curry powder medium (East End Madras Brand) turmeric,chili powder again East End brand, he swears by this make. Blocked Coconut Cream and wait for it vegetable margarine and vegetable oil. The full recipe I will post asap.Bye the way not a lot if any oil is recovered.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:57 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline rasseru

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 02:54 PM »
After a few tests its defo in the base and not the finished thing for me - its taken my last on a step back adding cream, a smushy blended mush rather than the nice separated oil & solids I desire.

I am sure theres a way but for me, who considers himself at least a bit intermediate it messes with my finished article

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 04:43 PM »
Anyone add cream or coconut?   (i'm talking basic 'curry', not kormas/pathia etc)

Just wondered how much and when if so for nice results
[/quote

Not sure if you mean adding them to the base or to the actual curry!  Personally I would add them to neither unless you are looking for a creamy or coconutty curry.

I tried a base with coconut once and it was pretty disgusting (might have been a Big Boaby one). A base, for me should be bland and, therefore versatile. Subtle flavours that add to the finished dish rather than overpowering it. Something you can use for everything from a Korma to a Phall.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:24 PM »
I tried a base with coconut once and it was pretty disgusting (might have been a Big Boaby one)

I can't see how you come to that conclusion, unless you have a natural aversion to coconut or the base is just overloaded with it. To me it rounds out the base nicely as long as you don't add too much and it becomes noticeable. It was actually the Glasgow base that got me back to adding it to my bases and, as I said, I definitely think it improves them. When the base is used in the curry it's not overtly noticeable but just adds a little something that I feel improves matters generally..

©2024 Curry Recipes