Author Topic: Tom Puree v Blended Plum Toms  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Nickywelsh

• Chef
    • View Profile
Tom Puree v Blended Plum Toms
« on: September 04, 2017, 05:55 AM »
Does anyone else prefer using blended plum tomato to tomato puree? I find my curries are always far superior when I use the former. I whizz up a can with a teaspoon of tandoori masala, half teaspoon of garlic powder, and find the result works really well (keeps in fridge for a couple of weeks). I use about 4 curry spoons of it (when tomato is required/in place of the usual watered down tablespoon), and find it just as flavoursome, but with a little more subtle flavour.

Thoughts?

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Puree v Blended Plum Toms
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I've used it that way on numerous occasions and if i'm lazy I just use pasatta works just as well and your right it is more flavoursome. I wouldn't use anything else

BB1

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:01 PM »
If you wizz up a tin of tomatoes you get pink puree which needs passing through a sieve.
Why you would want your puree to taste of Tandoori powder, only you know.

Italian Passata is Ideal for curries, but I still  thin with water.
M&S Italian Tomato Puree is extremely good for curries, thinned 2 to 1 with water.
When I want to use the tinned tomato flesh in BIR/italian sauces, I deseed by hand

cheers Chewy

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 07:07 PM »
I have to admit to using passata mostly these days, both in my curries and my base. Can't say there is any noticeable difference between passata, puree or blended tomatoes.

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:44 AM »
For the base I tend to use passatta. For the actual curry I will use tomato puree, watered down (typically 3-1). For the sort of curries I like to make (eg madras) I only need a small amount of tomato hence tomato puree from a tube is very convenient

Offline Curryon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 09:00 AM »
I use puree from tube and add a little water to the pan and mix. I have tried blended plum tomatoes but didn't notice much of a difference. Any time I have left tomatoes in the fridge they have lasted a week max so I would need to freeze. Easier with tube

©2024 Curry Recipes