Author Topic: CA's Chicken Vindaloo  (Read 71796 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Vindaloo
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 07:25 AM »
CA,

not exactly as spec when u wright it out like that.

spice oil was curry gravy oil.
curry base was my/your take
curry masala was aka minus the dreaded stuff.
tandoori masala was TRS.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 07:32 AM »
CA,

i have to take back the earlier comment on the thinness. the 1st go was definitely more authentic on the heat having lip burning.

last night i had 2nd go. added extra water (150ml - stove can eat it). also reduced tom puree buy 1/2. after long thought i also added bunjarra. i cooked till the same end point but i'd lost the lip burn (surprisingly). the heat was just right for me yet i used the same amount of chilli and green chilli.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 08:49 PM »
Cooked this only this afternoon and it is a top draw dish. ;D

I used spice oil to cook my ginger garlic paste. I also created a paste from all of the ingredients including the ginger garlic paste. I did add 2 TSP Chilli chutney paste and 1 TSP Mango Chutney, also a few drops of Chillie sauce.

My garlic/ginger paste was not ground enough. I must look into that if I am to use fresh but Shaan Products Ginger and Garlic is superb, Save the time and trouble if you can get that locally?

Great dish CA.
Had you considered subbing the pepper for allspice?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:59 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 01:02 AM »
Hi Mikka,

Thanks for trying it and reporting back.  Glad you liked it.

Quote from: mikka
Had you considered subbing the pepper for allspice?

No I have never considered using allspice as a substitute for pepper in a vindaloo. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:19 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 06:54 PM »
I cannot put my finger into what it was missing, when I ate it at about 5 pm (my time).  However, at about 8 pm, I was starting to feel hungry again and the vindaloo was still on the cooker (it was still in my non-stick Ikea work, with the lid on top).  It had cooled down  and so i got a spoon and ate a spoonful.  WOW!  It had really come to life!!

Hey pforkes

In my mind the reason for this is that the residual heat after cooking is reducing your sauce. From looking at your picture of the curry, I would say that you need to concentrate on evaporating the water from the base, ladle by ladle. For me the first and second ladle fulls should be thickened right up. I get my consistency right with the subsequent ladle fulls. If you look at CA's image of the Vindaloo, the sauce is thicker and darker than yours. Your sauce looks very similar to just base sauce.

I actually suffer from the opposite problem. I'm often guilty of thickening too much! That said, in my opinion, CA likes it more runny than most (no disrespect intended CA!) so if I were to be replicating my experience of a Vindaloo, I would be looking to make it a little thicker than CA's.

On another note, I can't stress enough how important it is to stick to these recipes religiously. Too many people just add a bit more of this and that but when using spices etc. it really is a precise game!

Cheers

BB

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 08:59 PM »
I am now aware that I need to reduce the amount of liquid in my curries and have found that using less liquid that the (usual) 300 ml works better for my tastes.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 09:44 AM »
hi guys you do make me laugh when people say they loved the recipe and then when you get into it you find out that they added mango chutney/chilli paste/etc etc etc. so now it is nothing like following the recipe to spec, sure adjust it to your tastes but you then can't say to some one "yeah used your recipe and it was brilliant tastes fantastic!" then the question what did you add to your curry? well i added a couple of naga chillies /some weapon grade uranium and a sprinkle of fairy dust and it was magic! ::).
you should big up the person who posted the recipe when you have followed the recipe as written down, not when you have changed it beyond all recognition.... ie FUBAR!

kind regards
gary

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Have a good laugh Gary. I made two  ;)

hi guys you do make me laugh when people say they loved the recipe and then when you get into it you find out that they added mango chutney/chilli paste/etc etc etc. so now it is nothing like following the recipe to spec, sure adjust it to your tastes but you then can't say to some one "yeah used your recipe and it was brilliant tastes fantastic!" then the question what did you add to your curry? well i added a couple of naga chillies /some weapon grade uranium and a sprinkle of fairy dust and it was magic! ::).
you should big up the person who posted the recipe when you have followed the recipe as written down, not when you have changed it beyond all recognition.... ie FUBAR!

kind regards
gary

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 05:15 PM »
OMG! LOL :o :)
regards
gary

Offline makum101

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Going to give this one a go this weekend.

Having done vindaloos before and noticing the vinegar taste was strong Im going to give red wine vinegar a go. Im also toying with pressure cooking it for 10 mins to force that 24 hours later blended taste tghat is referred to on this thread.

©2024 Curry Recipes