Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)  (Read 47722 times)

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Hi thanks for your posts and those that try my idea, I hope it turns out nice.  SnS and Cory Ander deserve the major credit, all I did was alter their hard work ever-so-slightly to adapt the taste for the CTMM.

And yes, SnS's base DOES work a treat on the standard CTM as long as you leave out the Chilli Powder and substitute Madras Powder for MILD Madras Powder.  ;D

Offline Deadman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2010, 07:51 AM »
I just want to say thank you to CA for this recipe. I made it last night and it is the nicest curry I've ever made.
I replace the almond powder, various milks and coconut block for a tin of coconut milk (I'm lazy) and the result was astonishing.

The only trouble is, the missus reckons it's the nicest curry on the planet.

Time to roll up me sleeves again!

8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Glad to heat that you and the missus liked it Deadman (perhaps you live another day then?)  8)

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I haven't tried your particular recipe CA, but lemon juice in a tikka masala!? The ones I've had in restaurants are universally mild, sweet and coconutty and not a hint of lemon juice.
I know it's an old post but thought it was worth saying:
You cant always taste every ingredient. Citrus find its way into all sorts of things without people noticing it specifically.
Jam is my favourite example. It's fruit and sugar right? Yes but if you dont balance it with lemon/citric acid it wont be as tasty or as rounded. It will be cloying and sickly. Children's sweets are another. Their sourness is critical and the better ones have better balance.
Ketchup or mango juice are pretty sweet right but just wont taste as good without a bit of sourness. There's a reason sauces will almost always contain sweetness, sourness, saltiness and savoury. If they didnt they'd be dull. The balance makes them stronger tasting, more complex and 'longer' on the tongue. Basically, more tasty.

CA's inclusion of it shows me he understands the importance of balancing tastes. I've found since learning to cook that it's things like this that mark the difference between decent cooks or dishes from average ones.
Unfortunately this is not as common knowledge as it is in south east asia. In japan their understanding is so far ahead that they balance textures, colours and easthetics as well.

I try to replicate BIR cooking but i realize that a lot of them are not the best chefs and are not interested in perfecting their recipes. Most cant even be bothered to taste what they send out can they? What makes a superior dish is often small details, where the chef understands how taste works.

Offline mmmcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2010, 11:45 PM »
made this, and have to say it was spot on bir ctm flavour, thanks alot CA! I used the bruce edwards base, and left out the evaporated and condensed milk from the optional ingredients. I also used shop bought tandoori masala, didnt use your recipie for it. apart from that followed it exactly and turned out amazing!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2010, 08:16 AM »
I haven't tried your particular recipe CA, but lemon juice in a tikka masala!? The ones I've had in restaurants are universally mild, sweet and coconutty and not a hint of lemon juice.
I know it's an old post but thought it was worth saying:
You cant always taste every ingredient. Citrus find its way into all sorts of things without people noticing it specifically.
Jam is my favourite example. It's fruit and sugar right? Yes but if you dont balance it with lemon/citric acid it wont be as tasty or as rounded. It will be cloying and sickly. Children's sweets are another. Their sourness is critical and the better ones have better balance.
Ketchup or mango juice are pretty sweet right but just wont taste as good without a bit of sourness. There's a reason sauces will almost always contain sweetness, sourness, saltiness and savoury. If they didnt they'd be dull. The balance makes them stronger tasting, more complex and 'longer' on the tongue. Basically, more tasty.

CA's inclusion of it shows me he understands the importance of balancing tastes. I've found since learning to cook that it's things like this that mark the difference between decent cooks or dishes from average ones.
Unfortunately this is not as common knowledge as it is in south east asia. In japan their understanding is so far ahead that they balance textures, colours and easthetics as well.

I try to replicate BIR cooking but i realize that a lot of them are not the best chefs and are not interested in perfecting their recipes. Most cant even be bothered to taste what they send out can they? What makes a superior dish is often small details, where the chef understands how taste works.

Good Post Chinios!! :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2010, 03:48 AM »
made this, and have to say it was spot on bir ctm flavour, thanks alot CA!

Glad you liked it mmmcurry  8)

Thanks for trying it and reporting back  :)

Offline TasteTester

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Daaaaamn! This looks good. It's a lot of work though. Also, where would one buy a coconut block that I keep reading about?

And yes, I've seen lemon juice in some kick-ass CTM. My most favoritist one ever used it.

Offline mmmcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2012, 12:11 PM »
I make this regularly, its wonderful, and pretty much spot on to my old local TA, love it. thanks for the recipe CA!

Offline ian_kershaw78

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Hi Cory Ander. I have used your recipes for most of the curries I have made. I am a chef in a Pub and we have a Curry night every Wednesday night. Your recipe for this Chicken Tikka Masala is stunning. I don't like a sweet curry myself but this is something else. Hence to say thanks for the recipe as it is the most popular curry I have made in the Pub. Everyone loves it and I`'ve even had comments back to me that it is even better than a BIT Tikka Masala. Going to try the Vindaloo tomorrow night.

©2024 Curry Recipes