Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 26645 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 12:01 PM »
The thing that has me puzzled about his process is that he adds oil to the pan to start, but yet he doesn't fry anything. If he doesn't fry then why add the oil, there is enough liquid to cook the ingredients.

From the taste and texture I have seen in the IG I had started to consider rightly or wrongly, that the Masala part of this dish was simply a Korma with the IG Tomato Puree added to the process.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Jerry/Axe

F,Y,I,  Below are the ingredients that the Kushi use for their CTM

1/2 tsp veg oil
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 cloves chopped garlic (optional)
1 portion of chicken tikka
1 tsp Kushi spice (mix powder)
pinch of salt
1 tsp almond powder
1 tsp coconut powder (not desiccated-this powder has a flour-like texture) :P
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp English mustard
5 tbsp of Masala sauce
120 ml of base
fresh cream and coriander to serve.

Method:

Heat the oil and ghee in a pan
Add the mustard seeds which will start to pop
Reduce the heat and add the chicken tikka, mix powder, salt, almond and coconut powder.
Stir well and add the sugar and English mustard
Increase the heat and cook for 2 -3 minutes until the chicken is warmed through and the sauce is bubbling.
Stir in 1 tsp of cream, and finish the dish with a swirl of cream and a sprinkle of coriander leaves.

I've not posted this as a recipe but just to show the comparison between the 2 styles.  Without trying either, logic suggests that the Kushi version should be better because of the method.  I've not tried Dipurajas version so I guess my previous statement is unfair really, but the kushi method is more like what I can relate to.

The Kushi's masala sauce is far more complex than Dips aswell containing 27 ingredients no less :o  and it is all cooked for around 50 mins, then blended, completely different wouldn't you agree?

Ray

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Jerry/Axe

With regard to the 'oil', I haven't watched Dipuraja's method yet, but maliks uses ghee and not oil, same for the East takeaway and many other recipes I've seen. It's always butter ghee in at the start for all the creamy dishes, e.g. CTM, korma, pasanda etc.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 02:54 PM »
Ray, is the Kushi Masala recipe on here?

Now is that Coleman's English?  :P Seriously though, I had never have thought English Mustard to be in there. I don't know what flavour Mustard Oil gives, but do you think this is an attempt to add it?

The process is quite different.

SS,

Using Ghee certainly makes alot of sense, especially with its creamy taste.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:28 PM by Axe »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Axe,

I dont think the kushi masala recipe is on here but I will gladly post it later, along with their chicken tikka, and CTM recipe.

Now i have tried this, many moons ago and for me, it was very sweet, nothing that can't be sorted by reducing the sugar content.

Ray

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Ray,

That would be great if you can, sounds very interesting. :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I had never have thought English Mustard to be in there.  don't know what flavour Mustard Oil gives, but do you think this is an attempt to add it?

I think that's exactly what it's there for axe. When the labeling of mustard oil as "for external use only" started that's exactly what I started using instead. Mind that was a long long time ago when I was into traditional curry making.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 05:49 PM »
How would you compare the difference between English Mustard and Mustard Oil, taste wise?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 06:00 PM »
How would you compare the difference between English Mustard and Mustard Oil, taste wise?

Axe,

I have posted all the links now to the who kushi CTM, and you will see that they use both Mustard oil and english mustard.  They differ quite a bit.

SS is correct with regards to the mustard oil being labelled up 'external use only' but you can find proper mustard oil (that is, without the warning) in most asian stores.  I did ask about this with the shop owner, and he said that it is completely safe to use, and thinks it may be labelled that way because it can be used as a body rub ???  ewwwwww

Ray

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 06:02 PM »
KTC sell an edible mustard oil in our tesco.

©2024 Curry Recipes