Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 26488 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Joshallen2k,

well pleased for u.

going fwd did anything jump out to improve it - i'm no expert on CTM but would certainly like to get it as good i could. it may just be down to the tikka - i felt for the marinade i might add mint and possibly lime juice (in place of the lemon dressing).

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Hi,

I had a go at this method last night, and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  Now, just to get it straight form the start, I used my base and spice mix, so I was not replicating Dips recipe, only his method.

It was really quite nice.  My only criticism, was that there was a strange after taste present.  I wouldn't say that it was disgusting as such, just strange.  I put it down to the quantities of paste or, as Jerry suggested at the start of this thread, maybe the spices in the paste, need cooking out?

I think I would go with Jerry's suggestion next time, by adding the oil/ghee on a low light, then fry off the masala sauce, then proceed as normal.

I'm not a CTM/Korma fan at the best of times but this wasn't half bad.

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 09:44 AM »
there was a strange after taste present

Razor,

was it sort of "vinegar" related as this was what we've experienced in the tikka which i am sure comes from not getting the patak paste mix/proportions right (slightly out of balance). it's something i have on my todo list to play around with them (i think comparing jb's and ifindforu's pataks mixes with dippies as a starting point).

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I wouldn't say that it was vinegary or tart, just something I've never really tasted before.

It could just be me, like I said, i don't really go for CTM and Korma's.  It could have even been due to the Almond or coconut?  The wife said it was bang on, and she likes CTM and Korma so, I don't know.

I will give your suggestion a go though, and try to cook out the paste a little before adding the rest.

Just a thought, the paste itself was very salty as SS observed with these levels of paste being used, as in the Tikka Group test but I didn't detect a saltiness as such in the dish.  I'm now thinking that the combo of salt and sweet, together, mixed up my taste buds a little?

Dunno but I will give it another bash.

Ray :)

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 03:37 AM »
Just thought I'd chime in, though this thread hasn't been touched in some time.  Finally got around to trying this dish, and I have to say that it definitely is similar to some that I've had here in the states - thought it was quite tasty.

That being said, I did use a more incremental cooking technique, rather than throwing it all in the pan at once.  Definitely have gotten a lot closer to a restaurant CTM than other past attempts I've made.  Looking forward to trying some of the others that have been posted, too.

©2024 Curry Recipes