Author Topic: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 77179 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: CTM - Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 04:47 PM »
I've never actually frozen any of my currys only the base sauce but I can't see there being a problem with it, maybe someone else who has tried it can comment?   As for doubling up I'm not sure as again i've never tried it.  One problem would be the size of the pan required and the mess from stiring it round :o

I am planning on measuring how much my ladle holds and updating my recipes soon so will let you know. 

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 05:34 PM »
Hi Dai,

You needn't be so confused Dai  :P.  Subject to Curry King's confirmation, of course, I reckon:

• yes, I'm sure you can easily double up on the quantities given (provided you have a big enough pan...as Curry King points out)
  • yes, I'm sure that freezing your left-over curry (once only) is perfectly acceptable...I do it all the time.  It will keep for ages (months) stored in suitable sealable plastic containers (i.e. with lids)...however, some people recommend removing any whole spices first, as they may become astringent on freezing....I don't bother and have noticed no problems
  • in the context of this recipe, I reckon it is reasonable to assume a ladle size of approximately 5 (UK) fluid ounces (i.e. 142ml)...I am confident that this is a volume of curry base consistent with the rest of the recipe, with approximately 750g to 1kg of chicken breasts (i.e. 3 to 4 breasts)....this is sufficient for 2 to 4 people

Hope this helps  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 06:05 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Hi Cory Ander

Thank you so much for your help. This makes more sense to me now, and give me a bit more confidence, when i round up the couple of ingredients i need i will have a go and hopefully post my result.
I must say that everyone i have encountered so far have give some good friendly advice its nice to be among helpful people. ;D

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 07:15 PM »
Hi Dai -
I recall reading somewhere that freezing onions , curry and some spices changes the flavour over a period of time . Anyway , here is a good link that discusses the freezing basics in detail .

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3060.htm

CC

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 10:17 PM »
Hi CurryCanuck ;)

That really is some comprehensive info on freezing, i think i will need to get a bigger freezer to house all my planed recipes. The problem i have is that i am the only curry eater in the house so i do not think i can manage 3 or 4 portions in one go. I will have to start converting the wife over slowly, perhaps try something milder to start off with. But as i love ctm that is going to be my first masterpiece or failure, fingers crossed. :-X

Dai

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 10:56 PM »
I have been down that same road with my wife - fortunately after years of trial and error  as well as numerous recipes my better half has become a " curry convert " . Good luck with your CTM - post your results .  :)

CC

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 08:24 AM »
Curry King wrote:

'The amount of people this would go round depends on how much chicken tikka you add.  I normaly use about 3 chicken breasts worth of tikka in this CTM and it would easily go round 2\3 people 4 at a push...'

OK, now I'm confused   ???

I recently made this CTM and, although very pleased with the result, I did mention that after quadrupling the amounts I had too much sauce and had to remove some.

The reason I did this, was because the recipe refers to 'one portion' of chicken tikka. I assumed this meant 'for one person' and so assumed I should increase the amount for more people.

So, the recipe at the start of this thread will serve 3-4 (that might explain things  :-\) ?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 11:47 AM »
Yes we are going to have to come up with some standards sorry for any confusion caused.  When I refer to portion of chicken tikka I mean one "lot" of tikka chicken, it is a bit vague to say the least  :-\ 

I will adjust it now to make it a little clearer.

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 07:16 PM »
My wife will eat a Korma because thats all she has ever tried, i think people get the wrong idea, they think it is all mega hot and spicy but there are many different dishes that can be made that are just very nice, i will try different things when i get established.

Has any one heard of the brand named "East End" i visited my nearest Indian supermarket, they had some things in "TRS" others in "Rajah" and other in "East End", a young girl there said that it was a good make so I had a few things to try.

Offline JB52

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Hi CK, I'm planning on making this tomorrow night and it would be great if you could let me know the approx size of your "Large" ladle?
Cheers, JB

©2024 Curry Recipes