Author Topic: Chewys Tikka Tuk Tuk  (Read 23952 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Chewys Tikka Tuk Tuk
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Guys.  :)

Interesting that you've had it in Lancashire Paul as I thought it
might be a Geordie only dish.

I remember the first time I had it, it was with Tikka Lamb, but it doesn't matter how good a restaurant I go to,
Tikka Lamb can be a bit hit and miss, often like munching on an old boot. Tikka Chicken is the safer option.

SS
No where near a Chicken Chilli Masala I know.
Which is usually a Bhuna loaded with Green Finger Chillis around these parts.

CA
Thanks, I suppose it depends on how involved in eating BIR you were and how long ago you moved to Oz.
This dish may well have been given a few names depending on the restaurant and region, but Tuk Tuk is the one I know.

LOL.  ;D Sorry, no book planned but a lot of videos planned with Bengali Masters.

Malc & Alan
Well worth a punt lads, very tasty
your feedback on it will be great.

cheers chewy

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 02:06 PM »
So what exactly does "tuk tuk" mean (in Bengali, Hindustani, Geordie, or whatever)? 

I sure have never heard of it...(it reminds me of "bang bang chicken", or such like - i.e. more Chinese Asian)?

It looks, to me, like a chicken tikka bhuna madras (in more common BIR parlance)?

I think it must be a Geordie thing (and, I imagine, a fairly recent one)?

But VERY nicely presented, nevertheless!  And it does look very nice!   8)

PS: Why do you call chopped onions and capsicum "service onions"?  :-\

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 02:17 PM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 02:19 PM »
So what exactly does "tuk tuk" mean (in Bengali, Hindustani, Geordie, or whatever)? 
In Thai, a very inexpensive 2-stroke taxi.  (Two minds with but a single thought).

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 02:57 PM »
I've no idea what tuk tuk means but like I said I used to eat a lamb tikka tuk tuk starter in Ormskirk Lancs up to about a year ago. It was only served as a starter.

If you google "tikka tuk tuk" you will find entries on menus for UK restaurants and takeaways so yes it is a BIR thing although not every establishment has it on the menu.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 03:43 PM »
I've no idea what tuk tuk means but like I said I used to eat a lamb tikka tuk tuk starter in Ormskirk Lancs up to about a year ago. It was only served as a starter.

If you google "tikka tuk tuk" you will find entries on menus for UK restaurants and takeaways so yes it is a BIR thing although not every establishment has it on the menu.

Cheers

Paul

So what is the starter exactly? It seems to be described as chicken in tandoori spices with fried onion.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 04:28 PM »
I think in true BIR fashion they've usurped the name of a traditional cooking technique which bears no resemblance to the way they make it. If you want to see tuk tuk (or I think more correctly taka tak - for obvious reasons once you've watched it) watch from 1:50 here: Food Street Lahore Pakistan

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Hi SS,

The one I had (several times) was pieces of lamb tikka served with a smallish amount of reddish curry sauce containing chunky onions and pepper and with some salad. I think it was served on a small plate.

It was really only a starter sized dish and the restaurant I went to only did the tuk tuk as a starter, not as a main.
Nothing outstanding really, but just a "wetter" than normal tikka starter due the sauce and I thought it was a very tasty starter dish and not too filling.

Paul

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:40 PM »
CA.
No Idea if Tuk Tuk has a meaning, probably not, but its a name that's been on some of my local Bengali BIR menus for many years and far from new.
I had my curry kitchen installed in around 94 and I remember cooking it back then.

Like my recipe description states:
"A Tandoori Curry, - Chicken Tikka cooked in a red masala curry sauce with chunky onion, Tri colour capsicum herbs and spices. Dry Bhuna Style."
and is exactly that! and very tasty too.

I thought it was a regional dish, but Paul (Lancashire) explains otherwise, except with Lamb.

"Service Onions"  is just a kitchen term, like "Garabi"
and is just a big container of small chopped onion and capsicum which both the curry chef and side chef use in most dishes on the menu.
Some curry chefs parboil these with a little spice, for an even faster turnaround on main curries.

SS
There used to be a short lived Punjabi take away in town called Taka Tak and the same Pakistani dish is a Chicken Keema mash up,
probably very tasty but no relation to TukTuk and the dish I've cooked ::)
Finally, nothing to do with Taxis either.

chers Chewy

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:36 PM »
called Taka Tak and the same Pakistani dish is a Chicken Keema mash up,
probably very tasty but no relation to TukTuk and the dish I've cooked ::)

Taka tak (or more fully taka tak taka tuk from the sound of the implements on the tawa) is a technique as explained and demonstrated, it's not a dish. I'm not certain that's where tuk tuk has come from but it sounds plausible enough to me - unless you can come up with a better notion.

©2024 Curry Recipes