Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Karahi Bhuna  (Read 12077 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
PanPot's Ashoka Karahi Bhuna
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:30 AM »
Posted by PanPot an moved to here by CA

Ingredients:

- Marinated Chicken (pre cooked chicken or Lamb can be used too ) (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3916.msg35418;topicseen#msg35418
- Oil (reclaimed preferred)
- Onion and Capsicum Mix (50/50 Onion with mix of red,green and yellow Pepper)
- Tandoori Paste (Pataks) 1tbs
- Garlic/Ginger Paste 1tbs (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3915.msg35417;topicseen#msg35417)
- Tomato Paste 1tbs
- Methi large Pinch
- Chopped Coriander large Pinch
- Garam Masala Large Pinch
- Onion Paste 3/4 Chefs Spoon (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3921.msg35423;topicseen#msg3542)
- Base Curry Sauce (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3199.0)

Method:

- Heat oil
- Fry onion and capsicum mix for 2 minutes
- Add  garlic/ginger paste and tomato paste and stir, pressing into pan with the back of the chef's spoon, for 30 seconds
- Add herbs and garam masala, stirring and scraping constantly from sides of pan
- Add marinated chicken and stir until browned
- Add 1/4 chefs spoon of onion paste
- Keep stirring for 1 minute
- Add rest of onion paste
- Keep stirring for a minute
- Add a little curry sauce, stirring continuously
- Slowly add more curry sauce, stirring continuously
- Add tandoori paste, constantly stirring and scraping sides of pan, until correct consistency is obtained and chicken is cooked through
- Serve
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:28 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Karahi Bhuna
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Hi CA,

The marinated chicken that you mention, are you suggesting that it goes in the final dish un-cooked or pre-cooked as in the link that you provide?  I guess you could do it both ways but I suspect the taste will differ somewhat between both methods!

Also, would you agree, that with the addition of some fresh green chillis and some tomato quaters, this dish could easily become a Jal Frezi?

Thanks as always,

Ray

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:46 PM »
Hi Ray,

I moved this post here on behalf of PanPot, who was the originator.  I expect he will be able to answer your questions accordingly :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Razor,

i make this all the time. i only use pre cooked meat (chicken). when i say pre cooked it's only a tad.

u're 2nd point is spot on - we don't really know enough of exactly which ingredients should go into each dish. i do make admins jalfrezi and i stick to the ashoka recipe - for me they do come out very different.

interpreted ashoka recipe: oil 3 to 4 tbsp, 1 chef medium fine chopped onion, 1 chef fine chopped green pepper, east end garam or kushi 1 tsp, tom puree 1 tbsp, bunjarra 1 tbsp, base 300ml, fresh coriander, 2 tsp bunjarra.

ps i add the pre cooked meat after the base but i am sure BIR's add earlier

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Yeah, the ingredients for the Ashoka Bhuna Karahi, are almost identical to my local BIR Jal Frezi with out the Toms and Chillis.  I also think it was Bruce Edwards that suggested that the Jal Frezi was indeed, just a dish developed from the Bhuna.  The peppers and onions are quite chunky though, with the peppers being quite soft and the onions just having a slight bite to them!

Just a quicky though, in the instructions that you give, it say's " 1 tbsp of Bunjara, and then a further 2 tsp's of Bunjara, with no mention of Garlic/ginger paste. is this correct?

interpreted ashoka recipe: oil 3 to 4 tbsp, 1 chef medium fine chopped onion, 1 chef fine chopped green pepper, east end garam or kushi 1 tsp, tom puree 1 tbsp, bunjarra 1 tbsp, base 300ml, fresh coriander, 2 tsp bunjarra.

Thanks as always,

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Razor,

sorry - i missed off the garlic/ginger by mistake. i use 1 tbsp in this dish.

for me the ashoka g/g paste is a must in all dishes. i tried g/g paste before ashoka (idea of pre frying - i actually microwave it now) and it just did not work for me. i used fine chopped garlic for a long time and felt this could not be beaten. the ashoka g/g paste is now what i use all the time.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I made this today using lamb.

I got the Bhuna consistency which I always get when I make a Bhuna, but it did not taste anything like any of the Bhuna's I have either ever had in a restaurant before or that I have made.

I'm just wondering now, why Patak's Tandoori Paste is used rather than Patak's Bhuna Paste? Is this another regional thing or am I missing something here?  :-\

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 12:31 PM »
976bar,

i started making this before i got into the bought pastes. consequently i don't add any tandoori paste. to make it more bhuna ish i would pre cook the onion as both chopped and sliced, add more bunjarra at the end and leave out the green pepper.

ps i now add the as spec large pinch of methi too.

current recipe: oil 1 chef (4 tbsp), g/g 1 tbsp, 1 chef pre cooked chopped onion,  1 chef sliced green pepper (not pre cooked), large pinch methi (4 finger and thumb), garam masala 1 tsp,  tom puree 1 tbs, 1 tbsp bunjarra, 1 chef base, 300 ml base, large pinch fresh coriander, 1 tbsp bunjarra.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:44 PM by JerryM »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 12:55 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that. To be honest I have never used Patak's paste in a Bhuna before either, but I wanted to make it to the letter before I started amending the recipe to suit my own taste :)

©2024 Curry Recipes