Author Topic: Kunna Gosht (a variation on Nihari with thanks to Sumayya Usmani)  (Read 2365 times)

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Kunna Gosht
This is a Pakistani version of Nihari and is very similar but there is a subtle variation in the spicing. This recipe is from Summers Under the Tamarind Tree but also appeared on the Guardian website. There is a difference between the book and online version; in this, the online version, the Garam Masala calls for 1 tbsp of fennel seeds whilst that in the book requires 1 tbsp of aniseed. For the traditional curry enthusiast Sumayya's book is a must.

This recipe is supposed to feed 10 people, but three lamb shanks would never satisfy 10 people in my household.
For the kunna
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp ghee
1 large onion, thinly chopped
2.5 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Kunna Gosht (a variation on Nihari with thanks to Sumayya Usmani)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 09:41 PM »
Thank you for these posts, Tempest -- they are very interesting and well worth archiving.
** Phil.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kunna Gosht (a variation on Nihari with thanks to Sumayya Usmani)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:58 AM »
I cooked this again last night using about three quarters of the origina 1 litre of water and none of the latter 240ml and it came out with a thin sauce which I reduced further. It went down really well. As for 10 servings? I used 4 large shanks and at best I reckon you could push it to serve 6.

©2024 Curry Recipes