Author Topic: Favorite Recipes at the moment - Vindaloo  (Read 15865 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Favorite Recipes at the moment - Vindaloo
« on: January 05, 2005, 04:18 PM »
I thought I would post the recipe for my current favorite, a Vindaloo!

I agree with the idea that its not about strict recipe following more a case of practice and trial and error, ive adapted this to how I like it from various different recipes.

Ingedients:
Precooked Meat or Veg
1\2 tsp salt
4 or 5 tsp chilli powder (More if you want it)
Fresh chillis (optional)
tsp or so of ginger garlic paste or tsp of garlic powder *
1 tbls of finely chopped onion
1 to 2 tsp curry powder Mix **
3 or 4 tbls Blended tinned tomatoes
Pinch of methi leaves
Generous amount of chopped fresh corriander
8 to 10 tbls of curry gravey (depends on thickness etc...)
4 tbls Oil

Method:
Stir constantly through out with a metal spoon
Finely chop the fresh chillis and onion, I prefer to chop them to almost pulp as I don't like the chillis whole :)
Heat the oil and stir fry the chillis and onions for a couple of mins
Add 2-3 tbls of gravey and fry on a medium to high heat for a couple of mins, i really blast it here which
causes it to flame up at the sides!? :o
Add the spice mix, chilli powder, salt and methi leaves and cook on for another minute
Add the meat or veg and cook for another minute
Add the rest of the gravey and cook for another minute or 2
Add the blended tomatoes and the chopped corriander and cook on for 3 or 4 mins or untill cooked through
Serve and sprinkle some more fresh corriander on top if you wish

* Before you cook it you can stir fry a tsp or so of garlic\ginger puree until brown before adding the onion and chilli, this does add to the taste but I found to begin with I received varied results using this method, this is trial and error I think to get it just right.? I sometimes sprinkle in a tsp of garlic powder towards the end instead and it still tastes great.
** You could use any of the one's posted around recently but I prefer Pete's one (2 coriander/ 1 cumin/2 paprika/2 turmeric/ ? curry powder)

If like me you get a bit over excited with the chillis\chilli powder you can splash in some lemon juice to tone it down a bit :)

This curry,? if it comes out well is very similar to a vindaloo a local restaurant serves up near me, creamy, tomatoey, nice and hot with lots of fresh corriander,? my favorite at the mo :)? ?
It also improves if left for a few hours before eating, I tend to leave mine in a cold oven as opposed to the fridge as it seems to go a bit to stodgy.

Enjoy
cK

P.S Thanks to Pete for the gravey recipe and the spice mix, also the garlic\ginger puree idea? ;)

Some pictures can be seen here as the attachment no longer seems to work:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=890.0
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:15 AM by Curry King »

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Recipes at the moment - Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:45 PM »
I thought I would post a picture of the this curry I made tonight as this forum allows it, mmmm good enuf to eat and I will tommorow night  ;D

I made this to the exact recipe posted and it tastes fantastic!!

Offline Muttley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 10:26 AM »
That looks superb (although, it could probably do with some more chilli :D ).

Are you a professional food photographer?

It's generally reckoned to be one of the most difficult branches of photography (photographing wet/hot food), and yet I can almost taste your photo.

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 10:46 AM »
lol, Theres plenty of chilli in there, I like to chop my chillis up to mush so you can't see them, there's a healthy does of xtra hot chilli powder in there as well? :o

Are you a professional food photographer?? It's generally reckoned to be one of the most difficult branches of photography (photographing wet/hot food), and yet I can almost taste your photo.

To be honest thats my first real attempt at taking pictures of my currys!!? I thought I would have a go as I know how I like to see what the finished recipe should look like before I try one.? Il stick some more up as I make em as well, be interesting to see some pics from others as well if poeple have cameras.

Cheers
cK

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 02:14 PM »
Thats a superb picture CK, my mouth is drooling! Im gonna give that recipe a go

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Hi ck,  How about adding some potatoes that have been pre-cooked to your vindaloo - or don't you like them in it?

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 04:43 PM »
Thats a superb picture CK, my mouth is drooling! Im gonna give that recipe a go

Thanks Mark, I hope you like it if you get round to making it? :)

Hi ck, How about adding some potatoes that have been pre-cooked to your vindaloo - or don't you like them in it?

I do put them in sometimes usualy if I don't have enough chicken, Im not overly fussed about them though

cK

Offline scribes

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 08:50 PM »
it looks very good, but the best ones I have had all have a "hot and sour" flavour, which try as I might, cannot find what
this is. And it is NOT vinegar !  It doesn't seem to be over-done with coriander either.

Offline tonyh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 09:49 PM »
Hi Scribes
                 might it be amchoor (mango powder) this gives a sour taste to curries.

Cheers Tony

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 04:58 PM »
it looks very good, but the best ones I have had all have a "hot and sour" flavour, which try as I might, cannot find what
this is. And it is NOT vinegar ! It doesn't seem to be over-done with coriander either.

Im not to sure there most of the Vindaloo's I eat tend to be almost sweet tasting? ???? I don't think its sugar just a natural sweetness that comes out in the cooking process.? If anyone else has a good recipe for a vindaloo please post as im always willing to try something new.

Cheers
cK

©2024 Curry Recipes