Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 3061 times)

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: September 29, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Hi all,

So I've been stalking this forum for the past week...but today got all my ingredients for my curry base and its subsequently now cooling. I used CA's base so I'm hoping that will give me a good starting point!  :D

My aim is to be able to make a korma similar to BIR.

Excited to try it out! once my other half actually gets the chicken he was supposed too...

Think the next thing is to make the spiced oil if i can find patch shoran and get some cassia bark!

Any hints/tips or pointers to some of the more tried and tested recipes are welcome!

Jenny

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Welcome and good luck with your first recipe test.
please let us know how you get on and make sure you upload a pic of your curry.

Stew

littlechilie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 08:27 PM »
Hi and good luck Jenny, just try and keep it simple, simple base and simple cooking technique. After you get your head around the process of cooking bir take a deep breath, then it becomes natural to know what is needed here and there.
Plenty of advice on the forum.
Let us all know how you get on.
Lc....

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:04 PM »
Hi Stew and LC,

Well...success!!
After sourcing ingredients from 4 different supermarkets (There are loads of indian grocery stores in Bolton but recently moved), I decided to start with CA's spice mix, base and curry!
The other half forgot the chicken as i presumed he would, but was so excited to try the korma sauce recipe that I made it and sent him out to buy a naan from our local takeaway.
I LOVED it!! I think next time ill reduce the sugar again (only used 2 tbsp to his 3) and see how it is, my local BIR is very sweet but i think i could go back a notch.

I will try and add photos.

Are there any recipes for chicken tikka shahee? I can't seem to find any on the forum but i may be being blind. It is the other halves favourite from our local and its lovely- it is described as chicken tikka cooked with minced lamb & specs (med/hot).

Im on nights for the rest of the week but hope to maybe try a new one once a week? To be perfectly honest i wasn't planning on the Korma going as well as it did!

Ill try and add photos...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Jen

Welcome and good luck with your first recipe test.
please let us know how you get on and make sure you upload a pic of your curry.

Stew
Hi and good luck Jenny, just try and keep it simple, simple base and simple cooking technique. After you get your head around the process of cooking bir take a deep breath, then it becomes natural to know what is needed here and there.
Plenty of advice on the forum.
Let us all know how you get on.
Lc....

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:05 PM »
And the final curry (I also used double cream as i use that in a lot of recipes so didn't want single going off )

Jen

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:42 PM »
Very impressive for a first try and I must say your tidy array of spices are something that I'd love to achieve one day, mine are stuffed in a double cupboard, some in packets, some in jars, some in boxes and take an eternity to find before I even start to cook. Reminder to myself: Must get more organised!

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Hi Foureyes,

Thank you, I was really pleased with the result, think i'm going to try a Chicken Tikka Shahee next.
I love my spice rack... but i think I need another shelf! I find its easier to cook with when I can find what i need easy  :)

Jen

Very impressive for a first try and I must say your tidy array of spices are something that I'd love to achieve one day, mine are stuffed in a double cupboard, some in packets, some in jars, some in boxes and take an eternity to find before I even start to cook. Reminder to myself: Must get more organised!

Offline Alastair Sim

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:12 PM »
Hi Jenny,
You will also need to make space in the freezer for precooked chicken/lamb/tikka, base sauce, naan and everything else.
Glad you are finding it enjoyable, when I first started doing this the traditional Sunday lunch disappeared as I cooked six curries on Sunday for the family and on Wednesdays I did six more as takeaways for them.
What a great hobby...and of course it's and lot cheaper than buying takeaways.

As

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 09:00 PM »
hI!
My Freezer is usually full anyway haha, but it is stocked with the base at the moment. My other half doesn't do carbs (unless i persuade him to get the local indian) so I'm ok for naan at the moment! Haha!
Recooked chicken would always be a bonus though so may be the next technique I look into :)

Im definitely enjoying it thank you!

Jen

Hi Jenny,
You will also need to make space in the freezer for precooked chicken/lamb/tikka, base sauce, naan and everything else.
Glad you are finding it enjoyable, when I first started doing this the traditional Sunday lunch disappeared as I cooked six curries on Sunday for the family and on Wednesdays I did six more as takeaways for them.
What a great hobby...and of course it's and lot cheaper than buying takeaways.

As

©2024 Curry Recipes