Author Topic: Methi  (Read 15535 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Methi
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 01:40 PM »
What I have noticed, Edwin, in my recent BIR journey, is that fenugreek, in either or both of it's forms, is the big difference between BIR and traditional Indian cuisine.

Fenugreek, as a flavour-enhancer seems to be used in virtually every BIR dish I have come across, either in the base or final dish.

If you want to use it, in leaf form, is entirely your decision....what's right for me may not be right for you, and vica versa. I can only suggest that you try it; and if you like it, keep doing it  ;D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46 PM »
In support of what Garp has just written, one of my own observations is that fenugreek is the most obvious component of post-BIR body odour, which does suggest to me that its use is prevalent in the BIR trade.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Phil, have you been researching farts?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 02:12 PM »
No, Sir.  Body odour, emanating from the skin, not flatulence; the latter appears to be highly modified by the digestive processes, whereas the odour emanating from the skin is more akin to the aroma of the original dish.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 03:11 PM »
I'm intrigued, Phil :)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I heard the Scots wash with methi soap

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I always do michael. Actually I occasionally leave it out for a change but prefer it with as I do in all the savoury curries.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 06:53 PM »
What I have noticed, Edwin, in my recent BIR journey, is that fenugreek, in either or both of it's forms, is the big difference between BIR and traditional Indian cuisine.

I'd agree with you about the dried methi leaf (you could have fresh of course which is a third option) but I've tried curries with and without ground fenugreek seed and it makes bugger all difference to my taste buds apart, that is, from being bitter if overused. Unless there's a magic way of cooking it to bring out its flavour?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 07:07 PM »
you could have fresh of course which is a third option

You're right, of course. SS. I've never used fresh fenugreek leaves, nor, I imagine, do many restaurants/takeaways. You're probably right too about powdered seed - I use it in my base and usually a little in spice mix. Without adding a lot to the discernible flavour, I do think it adds something in the background - probably like MSG does.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Can anyone else let me know if they use methi in their madras, ignore the off topic posts.

Cheers

Ed

I stood alongside the Chef in the kitchen of  one of our local t/a whilst he made my Madras and following a chef's spoon of veg oil went a pinch of Methi leaves so I follow suit  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes