Author Topic: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!  (Read 127700 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 05:25 PM »
I will keep my eyes peeled for it in Aldi and next time i'm near Asda i'll pop in and find out the nearest store to stock it and pick some up.  Have you started any plan to generate you own just in case Chalice stop selling it? :o :o

I haven't looked to generate my own as of yet, but I can't believe it's really difficult. I'm sure a little time spent in the kitchen experimenting would leave us with a product to be proud of. However if you look at Chalice's website, they are a MAJOR supplier of this stuff to the industry, so I am sure we'll be able to get it from somewhere, which by the way leaves us with time to do what we like to do........Cook our curries :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 02:42 PM »
I just thought I'd let you know that I made your bhuna pretty much to your specification, but without the Chalice oil and I thought it was quite excellent.

The main difference was that I pre-cooked my lamb in some of the marinade with added water and simmered it for about an hour and a half until just tender. I then added it along with your instructions. For me personally, I'd make a few tweaks for my own taste, but I'd highly recommend this as being a very worthwhile dish to try as per your instructions.

Well done for coming up with such a great dish.

Good Karma

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Thanks for the recipe! Made a lamb tikka bhuna with it and the missus said it was the best curry ever (and she wasn't wrong).

I'm not sure what made the difference, I used CT's base and CA's mix. I chucked in a black cardamom with the star anise and finely chopped the green pepper. Pinched a bit of oil from a Madras and a new batch of base sauce, but apart from that pretty much to spec.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 08:37 PM »
I just thought I'd let you know that I made your bhuna pretty much to your specification, but without the Chalice oil and I thought it was quite excellent.

The main difference was that I pre-cooked my lamb in some of the marinade with added water and simmered it for about an hour and a half until just tender. I then added it along with your instructions. For me personally, I'd make a few tweaks for my own taste, but I'd highly recommend this as being a very worthwhile dish to try as per your instructions.

Well done for coming up with such a great dish.

Good Karma

Hi Spicey,

Sorry for not having replied earlier, but I had not seen your reply up until now.

I love Bhuna, and have previously said, there are not many restaurants that make a Bhuna worth eating. What changed would you make for your taste? I would be interested to know :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the recipe! Made a lamb tikka bhuna with it and the missus said it was the best curry ever (and she wasn't wrong).

I'm not sure what made the difference, I used CT's base and CA's mix. I chucked in a black cardamom with the star anise and finely chopped the green pepper. Pinched a bit of oil from a Madras and a new batch of base sauce, but apart from that pretty much to spec.

Hi Fried,

What in your opinion do you think the black cardamon made as a difference please? I can understand everyone's use of a different base etc, we can't all keep the same base in the freezer/fridge....

Thanks for trying the recipe and I am glad your wife liked it :)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Once again - people should make recipes exactly to spec - if they dont like it then tweak it - hate seeing people saying oh but i added this and omitted that - not the same im afraid !

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 12:44 AM »
Made this twice now (inc. tonight) and it has really been enjoyed by all.

Must admit I've never had it in a restaurant, so can't compare it in that way.

One question regarding the recipe, when should the garlic and ginger puree be added?

I added them after cooking the the peppers etc., and before adding the spices.

Martin

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 06:54 AM »

I didn't notice it in the recipe (1 cardamom for a double portion). I was just trying to compensate for it not being in my curry mixes and not having much reclaimed oil.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 07:01 AM »
Once again - people should make recipes exactly to spec - if they dont like it then tweak it - hate seeing people saying oh but i added this and omitted that - not the same im afraid !

Just thanking the man for his recipe. You have a right to your opinion, even if it is complete nonsense. The recipe specifies no particular base sauce or mix combination, so has no exact 'spec'.

Oh, I left the tomatoes out too, 'cos I don't like them.

Mind your own, I'll cook what I like with whatever recipe I like.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Made this twice now (inc. tonight) and it has really been enjoyed by all.

Must admit I've never had it in a restaurant, so can't compare it in that way.

One question regarding the recipe, when should the garlic and ginger puree be added?

I added them after cooking the the peppers etc., and before adding the spices.

Martin

Hi Martin,

You got it spot on, add the garlic before the spices and after the onion and pepper :)

Regards,

Bob

©2024 Curry Recipes