Author Topic: Curry Kings Madras  (Read 12228 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Curry Kings Madras
« on: May 01, 2009, 09:20 PM »
After many different recipes and experiments here is my Madras recipe

To make a standard BIR madras:

Curry gravy (any decent one 'should' do)
2 Tbs spoons of oil fresh or from the gravy
Precooked meat
Finely chopped fresh chili (optional)
Tsp of chili powder
Tsp G&G paste
Heap tsp of tom puree\paste
Chopped fresh coriander
Salt to taste

Put the oil on heat
Add the fresh chili until soft, a minute or two
Add puree's
Add chili powder
Add some gravy and then the precooked meat
Add more gravy until it looks right
Sprinkle in some coriander
Add salt to taste
Done

To make it a posh one you can add a sliced tomato and some whole fresh finger chilli's near the end.

I find this is as close as I can get to replicating a madras from my local BIR.  Resist the urge to put in methi and spice mix it and you may be surprised how good it turns out.  I can't say how well it will work using a particular gravy but I have tried it with my own and the ashoka and although slightly different both were spot on.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Kings Madras
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:00 AM »
No spice mix? Just chili powder? No methi or lemon juice either...

I'm planning on Sunday to do the head-to-head of the BE Base/Madras against the SnS08 Base/Madras. I might as well throw this one in as well.

Your CTM was simple yet awesome. I must try this.

-- Josh

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:27 AM »
I haven't been able to produce a descent madras yet so looking forward to reading your conclusions on the head to head...head

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:11 AM »
the spec sounds exactly what i would shout out on a blind tasting from my fav TA.

funny thing is before joining the site and using the KD1 base i finally arrived at something sort of similar (for info 1/2 tsp Asian chilli sauce which i think contained garlic & ginger, 3/4 tsp tom puree, pinch garam, 1/2 tsp salt, fresh coriander)

it's only since joining the site that i've adopted g/g past and spice mix. for me i'm now well suited on passata and also add dash worcester sauce when the mood suits. i've also recently adopted a little tandoori masala.

will defo give this one a try.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:07 AM »
gave this one a go - could not resist.

amazing! i really gelled with it - it's so simple yet very very close as CK's says.

i also made a 2nd with 1/4 tsp paprika and 1 chef of passata - even better for me but the boss preferred CK's original.

now that i cook in the garage i keep ea recipe on a yellow "sticky" - if it's no good the sticky gets dropped off for recycling.

the sticky for this for sure is sitting with the rest my regular recipes - thanks CK

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:39 AM »
I've been looking for a simple but great Madras recipe for ages, I will definitely give this a go and let you know the results! :)

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 01:56 PM »
This sounds very simple to make. Will try with SnS 08 base and see how it compares with SnS Madras, which I have to say is pretty damm good.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 02:59 PM »
Want to give this atry!

CK, how much base sauce to you use?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 04:31 PM »
i used my norm 300ml of base to produce ~200ml finished ie 1 off portion.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Made both yours and SnS's Madras's today, using Uncle Bucks precooked Chicken.I used Sns 2008 Base and Kris Dhillons base, which i had left over from making her Badami Lamb Pasanda, which I will go into more detail on another thread.

Having made four curries today, here are my findings.

SnS's Madras with his base is the best so far.

SnS's Madras with the Kris Dhillon base is good, but I think the lack of spicing in the base detracts from the final curry.
Both these curries used the Kris Dhillon Garam Masala as that's what I had made up and left over from making the Lamb Pasanda.

Curry Kings Madras with the heavier spiced base of SnS 2008 was good, but I felt the inclusion of the chopped Corriander took it away from the BIR Madras and also think it could do with more Chili as it didn't have enough heat as a Madras should.

Curry Kings Madras with the Kris Dhillon base was not there at all. These are not criticism's of CK's Madras just my opinion.

Would be interested in other peoples thoughts.

In my opinion the SnS Madras made with his base, sets the bench mark for a BIR Madras.

One other thing, by using the Kris Dhillon base,the taste of the spicing in UB's Chicken is more defined.

©2024 Curry Recipes