Author Topic: Vegetable Madras, Illustrated  (Read 10527 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable Madras, Illustrated
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 08:38 AM »
Try it, you'll be amazed....  ::)

Amazed?  I'd be positively astounded!  :o

I often use lemon juice in curries but I have no idea why you say it thickens the sauce?  Am I missing something here?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 08:42 AM »
I make a similar dish myself although I have to keep it fairly mild for the missus.

I would use a spice mix (at least corriander/cumin/turmeric mix) at the frying stage and not just rely on the contents of the base to provide these flavours, unless making a korma.

Secondly I am loathe to add water to these type of curries - you only used 150 ml base and then added water. I would have used more base to water down.

The only curries I'll add water to are dishes like dhal.

Regards,

Paul.

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 08:49 AM »
Lemon juice contains pectin which is used to thicken such things as Jams and Marmalades, we use this when making homemade jams. Mind you they are boiled for hours before they start to thicken.
That said when I use it in a curry I have never noticed it thicken the sauce. :-\
Matt.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 02:39 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think Cory is right. Lemon Juice and other acids like vinegar are usually used in sauces to act as an anti-coagulant to stop them splitting. I looked long and hard but I couldn't see any evidence that it can also thicken a sauce.

The SnS sauce shouldn't need any watering down. I use a very similar Madras recipe to you (I add a pinch of methi leaves) but the base I use is very thick and needs water adding to it. I add about 150ml of thick base plus about 100ml of water for a 1 person serving. If you want yours to be thicker then as previously suggested add more base rather than water. Or try a thicker base to which you could add your veg water.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think Cory is right. Lemon Juice and other acids like vinegar are usually used in sauces to act as an anti-coagulant to stop them splitting. I looked long and hard but I couldn't see any evidence that it can also thicken a sauce.

The SnS sauce shouldn't need any watering down. I use a very similar Madras recipe to you (I add a pinch of methi leaves) but the base I use is very thick and needs water adding to it. I add about 150ml of thick base plus about 100ml of water for a 1 person serving. If you want yours to be thicker then as previously suggested add more base rather than water. Or try a thicker base to which you could add your veg water.

Thats just it, I don't want a thicker base, it was runny enough. However I added 1/2 tsp of tomato puree which I know will make the sauce thicker and about 1/3rd of fresh lemon juice..... and the sauce turned thicker.

Never mind the jam, for an experiment get some cream or yogurt and add some lemon juice...... mix it, then tell me it doesn't thicken it..... I'll be amazed if you tell me different!!  ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 04:11 PM »
get some cream or yogurt and add some lemon juice...... mix it, then tell me it doesn't thicken it..... I'll be amazed if you tell me different!!  ;)

Oh hang about 976bar..that's curdling it!  That's not what you'd normally expect it to do in a normal curry base or curry sauce is it (because yoghurt and cream are not normal ingredients or present in very large amounts)?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 04:14 PM »
Furthermore, I don't see any problem, whatsoever, in adding water to make the consistency of a base (or main dish sauce) thinner.....(or milk, or stock, or cream, etc)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 04:16 PM »
I looked long and hard but I couldn't see any evidence that it can also thicken a sauce

I looked long and hard too and, would you believe it, citrus fruits contain pectin which is a gelling agent....particulary peaches and pears (oh, and apples...didn't mention cherries though!)!  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 04:19 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think Cory is right.

And why is that Chris?  :-\

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 04:29 PM »
get some cream or yogurt and add some lemon juice...... mix it, then tell me it doesn't thicken it..... I'll be amazed if you tell me different!!  ;)

Oh hang about 976bar..that's curdling it!  That's not what you'd normally expect it to do in a normal curry base or curry sauce is it (because yoghurt and cream are not normal ingredients or present in very large amounts)?

So if you made a lemon Cheesecake, which has cream in it and lemon juice, and does not curdle, how do you explain that one?

Big words, now give it a big try...... ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes