Author Topic: Lamb Madras  (Read 11306 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Madras
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:10 AM »
976bar - I'm surprised you overcooked the lamb, and I'm not sure that adding it raw will get the best flavour and texture. I've always found that lamb needs a real long slow pre-cook to be fork-tender. Probably one of the reasons I haven't made it as often as I'd like...

I agree, Josh,  I also pre-cook lamb (and beef) in a slow cooker, for 2 to 3 hours, and I would also be hesitant to cook it with the curry (cos it will undoubtedly end up too tough).

These were lamb leg steaks. Usually if making another dish, I would stick them under the grill for 8-10 minutes and serve them with a cheese and onion potato and veg and they turn out fine.

Maybe I should look for a different cut of Lamb that would suit curries better where I could slow cook it first. What do you use?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:49 AM »
These were lamb leg steaks

Goodness!  Sounds nice but expensive?

What do you use?

Something cheap and not too fatty. 

For lamb, a joint of shoulder, generally.  Or leg.  Mutton, if it's available and cheaper (takes longer to cook though).

For beef, also a joint of topside, generally.  Or blade.  Or stewing steak (again, this requires a long slow cook to make it tender).

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:02 AM »
These were lamb leg steaks

Goodness!  Sounds nice but expensive?

What do you use?

Something cheap and not too fatty. 

For lamb, a joint of shoulder, generally.  Or leg.  Mutton, if it's available and cheaper (takes longer to cook though).

For beef, also a joint of topside, generally.  Or blade.  Or stewing steak (again, this requires a long slow cook to make it tender).

Thanks Cory,

I'll look out for these :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Hi 976bar,

Same thing happened to me. A few months ago I pre-cooked a couple of lamb leg steaks simmering very gently for about 1 hour. That was ok.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago and it was tough as old boots after spending over 6 quid on lamb.

I think it may take longer to cook. When I made the KD Beef Badami I left it in a casserole dish in a low oven (about 70 or 80 degrees) for about 3 hours. The beef was very tender after this time.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I make a marinade of Garlic/Yogurt (30 cloves). Some spice mix (Whatever) and make sure that the meat is in large chunks.

Marinate it for at least 24 hours.

Fry it off in a pan with little oil to seal the edges, let the spice get happy and set aside for use. Remember when cutting it that its the same as any meat. Cut ACROSS the grain.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Hi 967bar

For lamb try shoulder (sometimes called neck) fillet. It looks quite fatty but this helps it cook. Cut into big pieces and marinate in plain yogurt, tandoori spices, lemon juice and mint for a couple of hours, then either simmer just covered in boiling water and the marinade for 10/15 minutes or place on skewers and grill or bung in very hot oven till done, again 10/15 mins, it cooks like chicken breast so don't over do it. HTH.

Regards
CoR

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 03:15 PM »
I make a marinade of Garlic/Yogurt (30 cloves). Some spice mix (Whatever) and make sure that the meat is in large chunks.

Marinate it for at least 24 hours.

Fry it off in a pan with little oil to seal the edges, let the spice get happy and set aside for use. Remember when cutting it that its the same as any meat. Cut ACROSS the grain.

Many thanks to everyone for their help with this :)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 03:53 PM »
Hi 967bar

For lamb try shoulder (sometimes called neck) fillet. It looks quite fatty but this helps it cook. Cut into big pieces and marinate in plain yogurt, tandoori spices, lemon juice and mint for a couple of hours, then either simmer just covered in boiling water and the marinade for 10/15 minutes or place on skewers and grill or bung in very hot oven till done, again 10/15 mins, it cooks like chicken breast so don't over do it. HTH.

Regards
CoR

I use the shoulder fillet, very nice tikka it makes too.  Like CoR says just cook it like its chicken

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Hi 967bar

Regards
CoR

I use the shoulder fillet, very nice tikka it makes too.  Like CoR says just cook it like its chicken

I made Lamb Tikka back in the summer with Lamb Fillet, but to be honest I find it a bit too fatty. I prefer a leaner type of meat hence why I bought the lamb leg steaks and trimmed them. It's hard to trim Lamb fillets.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05 PM »
COR, I'm genuinely inspired that you have a way of cooking lamb from fresh in such a short time. Precooking for me has always been a fairly long process over at least two hours though well worth it. This will allow me to have lamb while the wife can have chicken without a fuss. Thanks PP

©2024 Curry Recipes