Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Madras by Razor  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka Madras by Razor
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:16 AM »
Chicken Tikka Madras by Razor

Ingredients

6 - 8 pieces of cooked chicken tikka
1.5 chef spoon of oil
1 tsp of hot chili powder
1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
1.5 tsp of Razor's mixed spice blend http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4706.0
300ml of Razor's curry base http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4596.0
1 chefs spoon of Razor's onion paste http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4721.0
1 tsp of garlic puree (bottled or tube is fine)
1/2 tsp ginger puree (bottled or tube is fine)
2 chopped green chilli's (optional)
1 tbs of tomato ketchup (yes, ketchup)
1 tbs of lemon dressing
Fresh chopped coriander

Method;

Heat the oil on high in a good pan or wok.

Add the garlic and ginger puree and stir continuously for about 30 seconds.

Add the onion paste and continue to cook and stir for a good 3 mins.

Take the pan off the heat and add the chili powder, black pepper, and spice blend.  Mix well with the onions and garlic.

Place the pan back on a low heat and cook gently for 30 seconds

Then add the tomato ketchup, chopped chili's and lemon juice, and give it a really good stir.

Crank up the heat to full then add a couple of chefspoons of the curry base and stir.

Once this has cooked off and the oil rises, add half of the remaining base and the tikka pieces, and continue to cook until the oil is released (you will see it come to the surface)

Add the remaining base, and continue to cook until you have reached your desired consistency.

Add the chopped coriander, stir then turn off the heat, and leave it to stand for 1 minute

stir and serve.

You can use Lamb tikka if you wish, just add it when you add the last part of the base.

Hope you enjoy,

Ray :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:07 PM by Razor »

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Madras by Razor
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Cheers Razor, love Madras. definitely the most difficult to get right the madras i get from my takeaway must have cocaine in it! and is very basic looking, just chicken pieces and sauce, no visible ingredients, no green chili's, coriander or methi,

how you come about your recipe?

black pepper, tomato ketchup, green chili's makes your madras recipe look a little different
intriguing nether the less, ill have to give it a go
UB.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:57 AM »
great to see more of your recipes appearing on this forum Razor. will be definatley be given this a try. especially when i have 2 litres of your curry base left to consume ;D.

on another note your medium version of the jalfrezi was a big success last night, people saying it was better than what is served up in restraunts and that it was so good they could of just ate the curry sauce on its own it was that nice  ;)

thanks moonster

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Hi UB/Mooony

Cheers Razor, love Madras. definitely the most difficult to get right the madras i get from my takeaway must have cocaine in it! and is very basic looking, just chicken pieces and sauce, no visible ingredients, no green chili's, coriander or methi,

how you come about your recipe?

black pepper, tomato ketchup, green chili's makes your madras recipe look a little different
intriguing nether the less, ill have to give it a go
UB.

It could be a regional thing UB.  Years ago, we certainly didn't get anything but chicken and sauce here in Manchester but say over the paste 10 years or so, methi has become more prevelant in the dishes, and I love that savouriness it brings.  Coriander, well, it's just a garnish really but stirred in.  Added any earlier to the dish, and it loses it's flavour.  As for fresh chillies, I should have really put it as an optional extra.  I used them one day because I only had about half a tsp of chilli powder left, and so I included them to get the heat right.  I guess I just stuck with them.

Hi Moony, Glad your evening went well and the Jal Frezi seemed to hit the mark.  You know that everyone will mither you now, to cook them a curry instead of them buying one, lol

Offline Eternalian

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Ray,

in your recipe you mention a chef spoon.  What is that in real money?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Ray,

in your recipe you mention a chef spoon.  What is that in real money?

Eternalian, you'll see this mentioned in other recipes too, we are talking about chef's spoon = 4 tbsp

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Hi Ian, Stephen.

Yeah, sorry for being vague with the chef's spoon.  I think it depends on what your measuring.  My chefs spoon measures liquid, such as oil, base and so on at roughly 2 tbs.  If I was using it to measure powder then yes, 4 tbs would be about right.

I guess like ladles, the chef spoon may come in different sizes.  Mine are professional chef spoons, the same as you see on the East webcam and the Dipuraja vids.  Extra long handles, to avoid burning your fingers.

Hope that's of some help?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 11:46 AM »
There is a description and an illustration of a chef's spoon on page 58 of Undercover Curry; the author (Dave Loyden) describes measures using it as a "scant dip", a "standard dip" (3/4 teaspoon) , a level curry spoon (4 teaspoons) and a curry spoon scoop (10 teaspoons).  He doesn't gloss the scant dip, as far as I can see, and gives the overall length as about 30cm.

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Hi Phil,

Mine measures 39cm  ;D

Ray ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 12:20 PM »
Mine measures 39cm

Mine used to, but it shrunk with use  ;)

More seriously, do you make much use of it ? I ask because it seems to me that for measuring spices (etc), one needs a spoon that is appropriate to the vessels in which one keeps the spices, and whilst a professional Indian restaurant range has great stainless steel bins for spices, most of we amateurs will be storing our spices in jars with a maximum aperture of (say) 2 3/4" (7cm).  I find that a desert spoon is about the largest utensil I can get in one of those and still be able to accurately assess the level before withdrawing it.

©2024 Curry Recipes