Author Topic: Bobby Bhunas latest base sauce goings on  (Read 28430 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Bobby Bhunas latest base sauce goings on
« on: October 27, 2008, 06:02 PM »
Hey guys,

So yesterday I fancied making a base sauce. The one in my freezer is crap, as I tried frying the turmeric and chilli powder from the start (suggested to me by a guy in the asian cash and carry) and overdone it a little ::)

So are the ingredients:

• 6 largish onions
  • 1 tin tomatoes (I bought a more expensive tin this time and notice the difference over the cheapo ones)
  • 2 sticks celery
  • 1 half red and green pepper (the pepper was half red and half green)
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1 bulb garlic finely chopped (this really got the happy medium between coarsely chopped and blended in water. I will be sticking to this method)
  • about the same amount of ginger, finely chopped
  • half a tin of chick peas
  • 1 bunch corriander - 30g
  • 500ml veg oil
  • a few bays leaves (this was far too much)
  • 50g creamed coconut
  • 1 tsp adjwain seed
  • 1 5cm stick cassia bark
  • a few cracked green cardomom pods
  • 1 tbsp methi
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar (dont try it)
  • half a tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 4 tbsp BE spice mix

Method:

Chop everything up and put it all in a great big pan, aside from the spice mix and fresh coriander. Cook for one hour. Remove the whole spices, add the spice mix and chopped fresh coriander and blend until smooth. Cook for another 40 minutes.

Result:

Not too shaby. The tbsp of sugar stands out a mile. Don't try it. Too much bay leaf aswell. However, once the curry is made, you don't notice either of these. It actually turned out a pretty good one, although my nose was numb by this point...

I'll let you know how I get on with this base.

Cheers,

BB.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Bhunas latest base sauce goings on
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Bobby,

this seems a base to end all. it looks pretty good to me (not a chick pea person though).

the bay is puzzling - i would have expected the 2 sticks of celery or the cassia bark to overpower c/w with bay. presume you're not keen on anise as this for me adds a very nice complexion along with the bay and cardamom.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 06:21 PM »
the bay is puzzling - i would have expected the 2 sticks of celery or the cassia bark to overpower c/w with bay. presume you're not keen on anise as this for me adds a very nice complexion along with the bay and cardamom.

I should have put a star anise in there now you mention it! That's one for next time. I'm not sure if I'm just a bit hyper sensitive about bay leaf atm, since I pre cooked some out of date lamb with plenty bay and smelt it and was nearly sick. When I smelt my base, I got the same nasty feeling.

Now that I've left it overnight, it doesn't actually smell too bay-leafy.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:10 PM »
Curious what led you to the methi and chick peas...

What do felt it added/detracted?

Particularly the methi, its one pungent herb, in a finished curry anyway.

-- Josh

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Curious what led you to the methi and chick peas...

What do felt it added/detracted?

Particularly the methi, its one pungent herb, in a finished curry anyway.

Well the chick peas are from one of Haldis bases from a BIR. Just thought I'd pop them in and see what happened. As far as methi goes I add quite a lot to the curry anyway and haven't really noticed much difference putting it in the base.

However, I'm just about to cook with this base now, so I'll let you know what transpires.

Cheers,

BB.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:29 PM »
Just made a Lamb Bhuna with this base. Tastes just the same as always... :(

I need to start using different spice mixes. I usually use BE or KC of late. Or just throw in the towel and take up a new hobby...

Nah, that's not going to happen ;D

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:25 AM »
I use some celery in base too, and I put the following whole spices in which I 'fish-out' at the end:-

2 x star anise
about 10 peppercorns
some cinnamon/cassia bark (or quill if no bark available)
2 or 3 bay leaves
3 or 4 cloves

The last base I made (Saturday), I used the 'Bruce Edward's' method (although not his proportions), of putting the tomarto puree and spices in 5 mins before the end, with no subsequent cooking and skimming.  I was careful to scatter the spices onto the hot oil floating on top of the base.  In finished dishes there was no evidence of the spices being undercooked, and the late addition of the puree lent a 'zingy freshness' to the base.  Made a good lamb madras from some of it.

I've tried many permutations in base cooking now:-

-frying garlic/ginger, OR boiling a 'blitzed' puree of the same

-boiling the tinned toms, OR frying the in a 'tarka' stage

-frying OR boiling the tom puree

-frying Or adding spices to the boiling base (into the floating oil)

-cooking for ages & skimmming after spice addition OR not

I don't know what you guys have found but none of these variations made a huge amount of difference to the finished base, which, incicdentaly, I always taste before using to make any finished dishes.

I should point out that I've always steered clear of changing more than one thing at a time.

Haldi made the comment recently that he produced a good curry using base bought from a BIR, this suggests that the base IS critical, Haldi has made bases using his BIR's method, but he says it does not taste the same, this could have a couple of causes:-

-The BIR is holding something back from him (ingredient or technique)

-For some reason, scaling down the production volume for domestic use changes it

My gut feeling is, that it is not the former reason.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 08:48 AM »
I can't believe that a recipe cannot be scaled down. It just doesn't make any sense.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 08:55 AM »
I can't believe that a recipe cannot be scaled down. It just doesn't make any sense.
At one time I thought that was the only thing it could be
That's why I bought my indian restaurant hob
I got slightly better results cooking the finished curries, but not enought to recommend anyone else to buy one.

Haldi made the comment recently that he produced a good curry using base bought from a BIR, this suggests that the base IS critical, Haldi has made bases using his BIR's method, but he says it does not taste the same
I try to catch all new posts on this site, I'm still searching for the 100% result.
I'm off work, this week, and have been trying to get a good base result.
I know exactly what I'm looking for
When I chatted recently, with a really good takeaway chef, he said I've got to keep practicing.
The trouble is , you have to practice a correct recipe/technique, otherwise you will never get it right.
I will be taking a sample of my latest base to show this chef.
I hope he can advise me how to improve it
But yes, the above quote from Adrian is completely true.
When I have bought a base from several takeaways, it does produce a 100% recipe.
This is only when you also use their cooking recipes & spice mix too.
Also remember that one place only adds tomato puree and chilli powder to their base to make a curry.
You really can't go far wrong with that one!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:25 AM »
i agree wholeheartedly with all the comments (Adrian, Bobby & Haldi).

the chef at my local TA pretty much confirmed to me that a base is simply a method of adding water and bulk to a curry.

i too have tried the various base methods also keeping a control (changing just 1 thing at a time). i've also tried a lot of bases off the site. the resulting curry has been pretty much the same (using a std madras recipe).

i feel my gap is now only down to recipe, spice mix & base oil.

©2024 Curry Recipes