Author Topic: Beef/Lamb Vindaloo  (Read 10971 times)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Beef/Lamb Vindaloo
« on: December 23, 2009, 01:54 PM »
I was asked post my recipe and method for this.
Image in "Pictures of your Curries'
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4087.msg37089;topicseen#msg37089

At first look its doesn't look anything like BIR but I've made both beef and Lamb exactly the same way with excellent results just about every time. Please see sources at the foot of this message for details on where and how I put it together? Thanks.

DS = Desert Spoons
Garlic Pulp I create on a surform tool used for grating cheeses.

Marinade:
1 DS Tamarind concentrated paste.
1/4 Cup Fresh Garlic pulp
1 DS Oil (Can use Spice oil).
1 TBS Grated Ginger. (Use the 2nd smallest area on a cheese grater - These should be thin strands).
1/2 Cup Yogurt

These spices:
1 TSP Cumin
2 TSP Garam Masala
1 TSP Turmeric
1 TSP Chilli Powder
1 TSP Sea Salt
2 x Green Chillies Very finely Chopped

Marinade Method:
Mix everything together leaving yogurt until last. Add yogurt but make sure the whole mix is evenly distributed with spices/oils and garlic.

Meat: 1 Pound LEAN LARGE cubes, Make certain the cubes are no smaller than 1 1/2 inch.
Get a sharp knife and stab each piece. Also use a metal meat pounder but don't be too harsh on each piece. (BEEF ONLY).

** Do not use meat tenderizer powder it will ruin your meal/Papaya ok. **
** USE YOUR HANDS TO PRESS MARINADE INTO MEAT!! **
** Combine marinade with beef or Lamb and refrigerate for 48 hours **

IF USING LAMB?
Same as above but there is no need to pound the meat.

======================================================================

PRECOOKING: (1) (SEARING) AFTER 48 HOURS..............

Method:
1. Get your favourite pan on the fire on medium heat.
2. Add the oil of your choice.
3. Add each piece of meat to your pan carefully so piece do not touch each other.
4. Check each side of the meat. We are searing and sealing juices in.
5. Turn each piece and cook until all sides are dark brown. Don't worry if you carbonate edges it only adds flavour.
6. Once you are certain all sides are evenly cooked through remove and store in an airtight container with the lid half off to to allow steam to escape. Cover when room temperature and refrigerate.

** Remember if you don't seal your meat you'll lose flavour and juices nessecary to cook it. Not the point of spending hours doing this so just make sure yeah.

======================================================================

PRECOOKING: (2) Finalizing the Beef or Lamb:

1. De glaze the pan with 3 TBS white wine. I used Blue Nun.

Like it or not both take ages to cook and get mellow and soft, beef takes even longer so be prepared to sit it out, the journey is well worth it.

INGREDIENTS: (Spice Mix).

1 TSP Chilly pwdr (Or to taste).
1/4 TSP AllSpice.
1 TSP Ground Cumin.
1 TSP Ground Coriander.
1/4 TSP Ground Green Cardamom.
1 TSP Paprika. (I used normal variety).
1 TBS Ground Fenugreek leaves (Use a pestle and mortar on this).
1/2 TSP Kocher Salt.
1/2 TSP Suger (White)
1 TSP Turmeric Pwdr
1 TSP Tamarind concentrate
* Mix the Above very well please.

Other additions:
1 Desert spoon Garlic chopped fine.
2 TSP tomato paste mixed with water.
1/4 TSP Ginger paste grated into fine lengths. (See above).
2 TBS FINELY chopped green pepper.
Dash of hot sauce. (Chilli sauce - See video for brand I used).
350 mls or to taste and texture base sauce. (I used Bruces).
4 to 6 TBS oil (Any).
2 TBS 'DEEP' Brand HOT Mango Chutney (Mash this with a fork).
Base sauce: I had a small pot (1 litre) on the go in case it started drying out on me?

METHOD:
Overview:

We start like any curry, we add oils, spices, base sauce but we do so on a much lower heat and for a longer time. The spice mix above will make just enough for two curries so if you want to halve up your meat and make something different it should be very easy.

!! The Spice mix above will not counteract its contents and become overpowering at all. I've cooked this for 3 hours and more with nothing but extra taste.

OK LET'S START! (Base sauce on heat please and ready).

1. Get your curry pan on medium HIGH heat at the start.
2. Add Garlic - cook 30 seconds.
3. Add Ginger - cook 30 seconds.
4. Add green Chillies - cook 15 seconds.
5. Add the spice mix. - cook 15 seconds.
6. Add the Mango Chutney - cook but lower heat.
7. Add Green Pepper.
8. Add one ladle of base sauce and mix thoroughly.

** Notes: Most of us know what this part is about. See other recipes too for general practices.

9. Add meat and make sure it gets completely coated in sauce and spices.
** Add more base and LOWER heat to lowest setting.... !!!
10. Add some hot sauce, (Chilli/Garlic sauce) towards the end and mix it in. Just a few drops.

=========================================================================

LOW AND SLOW:
Here you can relax a bit, go get a beer watch TV but please check that nothing dries out making sure you turn the meat regularly.

WHAT HAVE WE HERE?
Well your base has just turned into a curry like it normally does only we have a slow clock on it.

WHEN IS IT READY?
When it is really. You can speed it up if you like but sauces will evaporate leaving your meat high and dry -  slow is best.

*** When done a fork should pass easily through the meat.

=========================================================================

NOTES:
You can add water if needs be but not too much and it must be warm. Wine is a good option too but make it a fruity wine but again not too much, just a splash.

HOT Mango Chutney livens things up and marries well with the rest of the ingredients. Remember to add some of the chilli oil in the jar too.

========================================================================
///// If you have gotten this far then you're a hero. Your food will be great. /////
========================================================================

SOURCES:

Yogi Gupta: An excellent resource for any avid Indian Cook!!!
http://www.indiacurry.com/lamb/l008lambvindallo.htm
A video I cannot find which showed the spices that I now use in marination. Wonderful taste truly.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:54 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Mikka,

some effort gone into this for sure.

it's well off the BIR path for me to make straight off (i have a real backlog and my KD2 book to get into).

there's a lot in it though that gels very nicely.

i've made a sticky of the marinade and will give it a go using lamb. i've eyed up CK's lamb for quite a while but never tried lamb in curry. your recipe might just convert me.

i note the spice mix is what u posted previously and i have it to try out as a spice journey of learning. not something i need to do but more something i'd like to do to improve further my understanding of the why.

i know very difficult to say but is there anydish in BIR land that u would say it tastes of or close too - just to give an idea.

the pic looks looks v.good to me and could quite easily pass BIR. matters not as u say - taste that counts.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Indeed Jerry. Took about as long to write as prepare. hahahaha
I doubt anyone will try any method on here frankly but for me I at least proved a 4 year spell to myself that I could fool the mouth on meat taste to a great degree.

For me it isn't worth me using beef really since there are Halal meat stores all over the place in which Lamb is cheaper than beef  :o

Yes the spice mix is the same. I like it, it works for me very well since it dwells in the more savoury regions of the palette, less caustic, to me anyway + plus it smells gorgeous dry. Absolutely. It's a Vindaloo for certain. Everything is in there and especially upon opening the lid. The one thing it misses is that tom based hot sauce (whatever it is?). I'll find it however.

Thanks again Jerry. Have yourself a great Christmas.  ;D

Mikka,

some effort gone into this for sure.
it's well off the BIR path for me to make straight off (i have a real backlog and my KD2 book to get into).
there's a lot in it though that gels very nicely.
i've made a sticky of the marinade and will give it a go using lamb. i've eyed up CK's lamb for quite a while but never tried lamb in curry. your recipe might just convert me.

i note the spice mix is what u posted previously and i have it to try out as a spice journey of learning. not something i need to do but more something i'd like to do to improve further my understanding of the why.

i know very difficult to say but is there anydish in BIR land that u would say it tastes of or close too - just to give an idea.

the pic looks looks v.good to me and could quite easily pass BIR. matters not as u say - taste that counts.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Very detailed Mikka! And quite a few departures from the usuals we've seen on cr0.

Is all of this your own method/ingredients that you used before cr0?

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks Josh.
Yup all my own research.  ::)

Actually it looks harder than it is. Getting the ingredients together is the hardest part really.

It's not that different it you think about it? After all its precooked meat, you don't have to eat the sauce but it just happens to be good. (Another accident).

The main part of this is the marination. The marinade sticks to the meat like glue, is pleasantly salty and combined with spices serves up a good meal, at least I think so. I tried the boil the beef/lamb whatever in water with onions and I thought it was foul, tasted of nothing since anything you put on the meat is washed off. This is more traditional yes but as I look further into all of this I think restaurants are more traditional than we give them credit for to be honest.

Thanks for the reply Josh and have yourself a fantastic Christmas.
 ;D

Very detailed Mikka! And quite a few departures from the usuals we've seen on cr0.

Is all of this your own method/ingredients that you used before cr0?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
i have a real backlog and my KD2 book to get into

Talking of which, do you have anything to report on what you've tried so far?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Secret Santa,

it's real disappointing but the BIR interest has taken priority. not cooked a thing out of KD2 - i have quite a few pg's turned over ready though and have read the book several times.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Beef/Lamb Vindaloo
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Hi Mikka

Great post mate, cheers.
A question please. In the method section you refer to adding the green chillies and fry for 15 secs, but in your ingredients list chillies are not mentioned only green peppers. So how much did you use please? Thanks

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Hi Artist.

I used combined 2 TBS of both Chilli and Green pepper. This was to taste for me really and thanks for pulling me up on this too. It was literally harder typing that than it was too cook.

Best beef you can find for the money. I used old rags and it still came out top notch.

Thanks Artist and apologies.  ;D

Hi Mikka

Great post mate, cheers.
A question please. In the method section you refer to adding the green chillies and fry for 15 secs, but in your ingredients list chillies are not mentioned only green peppers. So how much did you use please? Thanks

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:39 PM »
CA.
I cannot edit this recipe now?  ::)

I don't mind you keeping what I post but I think if someone spots an error I should be able to alter and correct, correct?

Many thanks.  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes