Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 26489 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Razor,

in the method please add when the base is added - i can't spot it.

Axe,

u need to buy some mustard oil - they are worlds apart. the oil is alive is the best i can do.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Hi guys, here we go again, mustard oil, this is what I posted last November:-

"EC rules say all mustard oil has to be labeled 'for external use only'. However, a bit of googling turns up some interesting stories.
It appears, to me, that this state of affairs has arisen as the result of some dodgy scientific research which basically showed that if you force fed lab rats 10 times their body weight per day with mustard oil after a couple of weeks they dropped dead, surprise surprise. Armed with these scientific results mustard oil has been deemed toxic to humans, so must be appropriately labeled.
Now consider this. Mustard oil is a staple to many in the Indian sub-continent as olive oil is to many Europeans. In India, its' production is a low tech, largely unregulated, cottage industry which is both sustainable and has a low carbon footprint and which is extremely difficult for the Indian government to raise taxation from. The multi-national agro/chemical industry has a solution to this, which is to switch production from the traditional mustard oil to the likes of (GM) soya, provided of course by the same agro/chemical industry along with all the fertilisers and other lovely chemicals required not to mention the oil/fuel needed to modernise an industry and increase its output so raising revenues for the government and the multi-national corporations.
As a part of this process it would of course help if some scientific basis could be found for the move away from the traditional to the new, hence the 'research' mentioned at the beginning of this post, paid for by, yes you've guessed, big pharma.
Wether you choose to believe this phony research or use a product that has been consumed with no ill effects by millions of people, for hundreds of years and is also said to have healing properties when used in traditional (Ayurveda) Indian medicine, is entirely up to you."

Mustard oil is best heated to almost smoking point before use otherwise it can be too pungent, once heated it has an almost sweet, fragrant taste that I find works best with vegetable dishes and dahls, however if BIRs do use it there is no way they would admit to it for fear of falling foul of the H&S police.

Regards
CoR

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 01:16 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Razor,

in the method please add when the base is added - i can't spot

I have posted the proper recipe in the relevant section now, I was only using this as an example for Axe :)

Ray

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I have posted all the links now to the who kushi CTM, and you will see that they use both Mustard oil and english mustard.  They differ quite a bit.

Thanks for putting them up Ray. I'll see if I can find this oil, just for curiosity.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Hi Axe,

Any asian store will have it and don't worry too much about the warning. 

I actually use it in my mint sauce dip, uncooked, 1 -2 tbsp

Ray

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Well tonight i had a go at this recipe...Got everything even the kebab paste....Dont be put off by all the pastes people...This really did taste like my local take away (which shocked me)....The heat is what its all about you must have the heat really high so it cooks all the spices.........This is by far the best base and best tikka masala ive made....I thought it might taste a bit tart with all the pastes but it was smooth and creamy.....Oh and add some freash coriander at the end just like they do in the take away.... Thank you for posting this....I`m gonna post pics of the tikka masala im making tomorrow and will let you know how the mint sauce tastes too(gonna have a bash at making that too).

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Hi String, welcome to cr0.

As you will be aware, TA's and BIR's seem to vary from region to region, just out of interest, whereabouts are you?

Another thing, did you cook it using Dipuraja's method, i.e; cooking everything from cold? and did you follow the recipe to spec?

Glad it worked out well for you, I'm going to try a madras this weekend using his method, but not his base or mixed powder, I still have lot of base left from my previous batch.

regards;

Ray :)

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 11:36 PM »
Hi Ray
I`m in south yorkshire but i was born and raised in birmingham.
I used everything from off the videos.
The base was hot thats the only thing i changed.
But other then that kept everything the same from the video.

Gonna try the madras myself also the tikka bhuna.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 11:50 PM »
Hi String,

That's brilliant.  I for one have been very sceptical about Dipuraja's cooking method, but post's like this are of so much value to every member here.

Just one more thing mate, was there as much sauce in the dish as there were in the video?  My thought on CTM is that the sauce should be thick and really cling to the meat, again, this may be down to regional variances?

By the way, Im in Manchester.

Ray :)

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 11:58 PM »
Hi Ray
The sauce went thick in the pan when i cooked it like in the video and i must say the hotter the heat the better it is.
I didnt think i was gonna like it to tell you the truth i thought like a lot on here that it would be a bit too much with all the pastes.
I will take pics tomorrow so i can show everyone maybe even do a video.
But this one for me is the best so far and will be making this from now on.
Thanks for the reply
Oh the kebab paste i used was Mr Huda's Kebab Paste 2:85 at tradewinds oriental shop.

©2024 Curry Recipes