Author Topic: Chicken korma  (Read 62923 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken korma
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 10:33 AM »
I like the idea CC of a Premier League; it gives us something to aim for..Maybe we get a cup (sorry to mention that word  ::)) at the end of the season for the one voted the best?

Darth I have just posted a reply on the Measurement thread before I got here.  My apologies I hadn't seen your response above on your bag measurement. 

Thanks for the recipe George, I will try it next week.

Happy Cooking
CP

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Np Matey, you got a new answer (is it serious, go read lol). :D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Yep saw it and made a bolt Westward in my M/Falcon.  That's a dark area I dont want to go to no more.

Ta
CP

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Perhaps we could create the top ten of BIR recipes on this thread -  what do you think ?

cc

Many thanks for the implication that Ghanna's korma recipe with my quantities may qualify for such an accolade. But, unless I've missed any such posting, I've yet to hear any feedback on this recipe, aside from my own enthusiasm. If anyone has tried the recipe, please indicate here what you thought of it, and please also indicate any variations in base sauce type or any other changes you made.

I think of chicken korma under the following categories:

(1) a typical, good BIR korma - I feel Ghanna's recipe comes under this category
(2) an exceptionally good BIR korma, like from one of your very favorite curry houses - I'm searching for the correct spicing/flavouring to lift Ghanna's recipe up to this level or to level 3, which is:
(3) distinctive 'up-market' UK indian restaurant korma's even if given some fancy alternative name. My first visit to one of these places was to 'Last Days of the Raj' in Covent Garden, in the 1980s. The taste of the dish there seemed like worth the extra cost.
(4) a proper korma in India, which is divine, but nothing like the other three categories.

I should also mention that I tried Ghanna's own 'special' korma recipe which Ghanna thought is better than the above BIR version. I may have done something wrong, but I didn't like it as much, unfortunately.

Ghanna, where are you?

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 05:00 PM »
Yes Ghanna is missed, but i dont think he/or She has been active for many months.

Offline jamesperry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 09:29 PM »
I think that perhaps we should have a thread for those tried and tested recipes on the site that have proved over time  ( having been tested by the majority of the regular contributing group ) to be outstanding . Perhaps we could create the top ten of BIR recipes on this thread -  what do you think ?

Firstly, I am new to the forum so I would like to say 'hello!' to everyone.

I believe this to be a great idea. I can contribute to this as every weekend my GF and I try to make the ultimate chicken korma. We have not succeeded but look forward to trying George's synthesised recipe next week. Here is the recipe we have used from the curryfrenzy.com web site with slight modification.

The following recipe can de described as not a BIR korma. It leaves you with a sour taste which we tried to counteract by using ground almond powder and dessicated coconut. It did the job but did not provide us with a BIR korma.

Here is the recipe that we used:

2 Chicken Breasts Chopped into Bite Size Pieces
1 Tin Coconut milk
4oz Greek Style Thick Natural Yogurt
3 Egg Yolks
3 Tablespoons Mango chutney
Quarter of an onion finely chopped
2 Teaspoon Schwartz's Mild Curry Powder
4 Cloves Crushed Garlic
2 inches Root Ginger grated
1 Tablespoon Butter Ghee
1 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Garam Massalla
2 drops Almond Extract (Not essence)
2 Tablespoon almond powder
1 Tablespoon dessicated coconut

Make a paste of the curry powder and Turmeric with a little water. Fry the onion until translucent in the ghee then add the garlic and ginger and stir fry on medium until it just starts to brown. Add the curry paste and stir in and fry for a further 30 secs. Add the chicken pieces and seal well on all sides. Mix the coconut milk, yogurt, mango chutney and egg yolks in a jug and pour over and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, stirring regularly. If needed add a little water to prevent the curry becoming too thick or dry. Now stir in the garam massalla and almond extract and cook for a further minute. Serve with the almond powder and dessicated coconut.

This recipe should be in the relegation zone of the chicken korma league table!

Has anyone agreed on a definitive BIR korma recipe for me to try next weekend?

Cheers,

- James

Offline Serum

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 07:03 PM »
I've always wanted to make one of these but somehow developed a bad reaction to milk or cream in the last month.  I'm gutted!

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 11:38 PM »
I can contribute to this as every weekend my GF and I try to make the ultimate chicken korma....The following recipe can de described as not a BIR korma...It did the job but did not provide us with a BIR korma.

James

Thank you for your recipe but, unless you are being very modest, if it's nothing like a BIR korma, then it won't be on my short list of recipes to try any time soon. A BIR korma is quite distinctive, anywhere I've had one throughout the UK. Are you sure your recipe is nothing like that? I guess not, as it doesn't include base sauce.

If you try a different korma recipe or variation almost every week, how many recipes or variations have you tried so far?

Regards
George
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 01:40 AM by George »

Offline jamesperry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 11:21 PM »
I can contribute to this as every weekend my GF and I try to make the ultimate chicken korma....The following recipe can de described as not a BIR korma...It did the job but did not provide us with a BIR korma.

James

Thank you for your recipe but, unless you are being very modest, if it's nothing like a BIR korma, then it won't be on my short list of recipes to try any time soon. A BIR korma is quite distinctive, anywhere I've had one throughout the UK. Are you sure your recipe is nothing like that? I guess not, as it doesn't include base sauce.

If you try a different korma recipe or variation almost every week, how many recipes or variations have you tried so far?

Regards
George

No, I am being honest. Its the first recipe we have played with. I posted a question on Yahoo! Anwers asking how to make a genuine BIR korma and got an answer saying I can find the recipes at this site. After looking on this site, I realised I needed to change my recipe completley.

Well, I am going to try your recommended recipe but we're going to do it every month or so becuase we will get fat otherwise!

I also have doubts about the Mark J' base. There seems to be an excessive quantity of ingrediants in it. Can this be cut down for 1 to 2 people?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 12:24 AM »
I also have doubts about the Mark J' base. There seems to be an excessive quantity of ingrediants in it. Can this be cut down for 1 to 2 people?

I make the Mark J base with just 2 onions and it tastes delicious. I think there's 10 and 30 onion versions on this site. Simply pro-rata each and every ingredient down to 2 onions.

Good luck
Regards
George

©2024 Curry Recipes