Author Topic: CA's Simple Chicken Korma  (Read 22462 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Simple Chicken Korma
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:22 AM »
CA's Simple Chicken Korma (very mild, sweet, creamy and coconutty sauce)

serves 1

Ingredients:

• 200g (about one medium) skinless chicken breast (chopped into bite sized cubes)
  • 60ml (about 4 tablespoons) of vegetable oil
  • 1 rounded teaspoon of butter
  • 0.5 level teaspoon of turmeric powder
  • 0.25 level teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
  • 4 heaped tablespoons of finely milled dessicated coconut - or "coconut flour" or "coconut milk powder" (or to taste)
  • 2 heaped tablespoons of almond meal (or to taste)
  • 2 heaped tablespoons of sugar (or to taste)
  • 200ml of simple mild curry base (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7645.msg66407#msg66407)
  • 4 level tablespoons of fresh single cream

Method:

• Heat curry base to a gentle simmer
  • Add oil and butter to a separate pan and heat on a medium heat
  • Add chicken pieces and stir fry until just sealed (i.e. just white on the outside)
  • Add turmeric powder and salt and fry for about 30 seconds
  • Add coconut, almond and sugar and fry for about 30 seconds
  • Add curry base, stir, and bring to a simmer
  • Simmer, for about 4 minutes, until the chicken is cooked (i.e. white) throughout
  • Add cream and stir
  • Continue to simmer until the desired consistency is achieved
  • Serve

Notes:

• You can use any other decent, mildly spiced, curry base, if you prefer, but the result may be different
  • You can use precooked chicken, or other precooked meat, or prawns - just add it, with the curry base, and make sure it is reheated thoroughly
  • 1 level teaspoon is 5ml and 1 level tablesoon is 15ml

Here is a photo of the resultant Chicken Korma:

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Simple Chicken Korma
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:53 AM »
That looks spot on CA.  Looking at the ingredients it will taste as good as it looks if korma does it for you.  I use exactly the same ingredients in my recipe with a little variation in proportions depending on how the individual likes their korma.  Some restaurants round here produce  a korma which is heavy on the coconut, other heavy on the almonds, some are sweet and some very sweet but all rich with cream.   Next time i cook it i'll post the recipe and some pics. 

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Hey CA,  another winner there my friend.

Like CH, very similar ingredients to the one that I make, with the exception of salt and turmeric.  As I make it for the wife, it is her that usually does the taste confirmation and she is fine with mine but, I can see adding salt would give it a lift.

Many thanks for posting yet another very clear and comprehensive recipe.

Ray :)

Offline clusterz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Hello CA and thanks for the great looking recipes (from a newbie here.) I'm going to find the necessary ingredients and cook it next week. Looks great meals for cold times.

I have a question, how would you compare this recipe to the one you posted two years ago (the other Chicken Korma recipe,) do you prefer this new version or is it simply a simpler one for time constrained occasions?

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:18 AM »
I tried this last night .. the flavour was great and the consistency of the sauce was nice along with the colour. The only negative for me was that I used Dessicated Coconut ( we live in Slovakia so there was no chance of coconut milk powder.. even curry powder is exotic here !! ) which always feels a little saw dusty to me. Overall a good quick tasty mid week curry .. as soon as I can get some of the milk powder I'll try CA's original one which looks better to me.

CA's Phall tonight ... cucumber wet wipes in the fridge in preparation for the next day !!!!

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Also cooked this tonight..........very authntic. The kids all agreed it wa shte best Korma they had ever eaten.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:28 PM »
At the request of our kids (not normally curry fans) I cooked this again tonight, along with CA's Jalfrezi and the Bradford Masala. I halved the quantity of salt  in the Bradford dish, but I think it really does need all that salt to taste right.

Anyway, I tried to get a couple of pictures. Sorry about the light but I cooked this outside on the BBQ sideburner, and they were snapped with my iphone. I'll try harder next time.

Another 10/10 from the kids for the Korma. :)

Offline kyon147

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:21 PM »
I tried this one last night was pretty nice.

I have found that this korma is a lot sweeter and less thick than the BIR Kormas (Simmered it for a while) I have tried. Seems like the ones I have tried have a sweet with a little spice kick, not enough to make a difference but to tone down the over power sweetness of the korma.

Think I will try this again tomorrow and add a little less sugar, got any suggesions CA?

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Hi CA and thanks for the recipe!

I have to say, I have never been one to go for Korma, but cooked this today as my kids don't like food too spicy and it tasted fantastic  ;D

Does this look about right? (Did not have coconut flour so had to use dessicated coconut hence the grainy texture...

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Hi Tongey,

Looks about right, to me, tongey  8)

Right colour and, as you say, the dessicated coconut gives a more grainy texture than "coconut flour/powder" would.  Other options, to get a less grainy texture (if you prefer), are to use coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut milk powder or creamed coconut.  Or finely mill your dessicated coconut into flour/powder.

©2024 Curry Recipes