Author Topic: Chicken Vindaloo with Taz Base  (Read 10415 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Vindaloo with Taz Base
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:14 AM »
Ingredients:

1 portion of precooked chicken
400 ml Taz curry base gravy
1 tsp. garlic/ginger paste
BE spice mixture, 1 tsp.
3 tsp chilli powder

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Vindaloo with Taz Base
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Hi Stephen

That looks absolutly awesome! - wish I could have that right now and its not even 9am.

Is that some Chicken Tikka you have in that Vindaloo?

I imagine that the vinegar may cause controversy - although personally I often use a little myself in a Vindaloo.

Have you ever tried a little black pepper in there too?

Cheers for posting this!

Edit: Just seen the text below the photo 'This photo shows my effort using Chicken Tikka.' - Nice one ;)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Now having had a closer look at the pic, it looks just like the one i have from my local takeaway SL.  You were a bit mean with the corriander though ;).  Vinegar, i must confess i've never used the stuff in BIR cooking.  How do you rate it compared to the same dish but with lemon?  I really must do Taz's base again soon.  I hope it tasted as good as it looked :D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Hi Stephen

That looks absolutly awesome! - wish I could have that right now and its not even 9am.

Is that some Chicken Tikka you have in that Vindaloo?

I imagine that the vinegar may cause controversy - although personally I often use a little myself in a Vindaloo.

Have you ever tried a little black pepper in there too?

Cheers for posting this!

Edit: Just seen the text below the photo 'This photo shows my effort using Chicken Tikka.' - Nice one ;)

Thanks for that solarspace. I'm not sure if vinegar is strictly BIR and of course lemon juice would suffice. The reason for using vinegar is that the dish has connections with Portugal and Goa. Black pepper sounds like a good inclusion too.

Now having had a closer look at the pic, it looks just like the one i have from my local takeaway SL.  You were a bit mean with the corriander though ;).  Vinegar, i must confess i've never used the stuff in BIR cooking.  How do you rate it compared to the same dish but with lemon?  I really must do Taz's base again soon.  I hope it tasted as good as it looked :D

curryhell, I have previously made Vindaloo Madras style but with additional chilli powder and I can't say the difference is huge. I went into our Asian grocer last night but they had no coriander, due to lack of deliveries over the New Year  :(. I made it for my g/f and she said it was spot on. It was probably on the cusp of heat for me but she said she could take it much hotter - clearly I have some work to do!

The good thing is that I have some left over for lunch tomorrow and will be looking forward to that.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Lovely looking curry.

You've stuck with Taz's base for a while now, haven't you (if my memory serves)? Clearly giving good results.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Ramirez

I've been using this base for the past year with consistent results across most of the well known BIR dishes. I also like the fact that it keeps well in the fridge due to the high oil content.

Steve

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:08 PM »

curryhell, I have previously made Vindaloo Madras style but with additional chilli powder and I can't say the difference is huge. I went into our Asian grocer last night but they had no coriander, due to lack of deliveries over the New Year  :(. I made it for my g/f and she said it was spot on. It was probably on the cusp of heat for me but she said she could take it much hotter - clearly I have some work to do!

The good thing is that I have some left over for lunch tomorrow and will be looking forward to that.
Obviously you have some work to do to appreciate the finer things in life SL, like heat from a vindaloo :o ;D.  As soon as i make Taz's base again i'll give this vindaloo a go and your pathia as there seems to be a shortage of recipes for this :(.  Hope it tastes as good second time round  ;)

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:34 AM »
Hi Stephen

A superb looking dish - well done mate!  I'd echo the comment about including black peppercorns, too.

Another observation rather than a question.......I notice the recipe includes malt vinegar - presumably something like Sarson's.  Does this produce a noticably different taste to using white vinegar?  I'm curious because most of the vindaloo recipes I've seen (for example, CA's on this site, and Madhur Jaffrey's from my old 1980s cookbook) go for white vinegar.

Either way, you've already tempted me into giving it a go!!!!

Thanks
al.

Offline stuart1

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Hi Stephen

Just to thank you  :) This is without doubt the best curry i've made so far..

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Just made a batch of Taz base and would like to know if anybody could give me some pointers on making this recipe, don't usually eat a Vindaloo, on whether black pepper is worth adding and also the vinegar addition, lemon juice or vinegar.

©2024 Curry Recipes