Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 252494 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Three baltis
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Been thinking for a while to re-visit the balti.  Never really got there last time.  Anyway, figured the best thing to do was get a couple of takeaways in, to remind myself of the taste.  Went with these two well-known Birmingham balti houses:

Thought a few pics of the dishes would be nice, for anyone else still on the balti quest.

Adil first.  Not been here before. Apparently, this is where it all began.

Balti chicken (requested madras hot)

In a very hot balti dish. Remember, you have to eat a balti with a naan.

It's so difficult to describe the taste and texture of a balti.  This was certainly gorgeous.  Very aromatic. The only thing I could really pick out was the delicate use of ground coriander, but there seemed to be myriads of other flavours. As can be seen in the pics the chicken has been cut lengthways, into strips.  I'd say this was fresh as opposed to pre-cooked. I'll be going back to this place. Next time I'll try to do a review for the Highly Recommended section. The most expensive dish of the night.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 12:15 PM »
I'm going to book a flight into birmingham for the next month to come for a weekend to get a good taste of curry. How far would these 2 places be from the airport (ryanair) Rob?

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Rob, we could do with a good couple of Balti recipes when you got the time ;)
both look really excellent, pity I live down south.

Les

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 01:04 PM »
Yes, could do with a few myself Les.  Bloomin' tricky one is the balti.  I think I was sort of getting somewhere with it once, but the real deal is in a different league.  I recall it is very easy (a doddle in fact) to over spice a balti and ruin it. 

The Kushi cooking course is running again and I've booked in.  Last time I tried it was cancelled due to atrocious weather.  Just a half-day course this time.  I hope there's a pan of base gravy made, because I am going to help myself to some. There will be no stopping me!

About 20 minutes goncalo.  Aren't you supposed to be on holiday in the sunshine somewhere nice?  Stop drooling over curry pics and get the drinks in by the pool!  8)

Rob  :)   

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 01:04 PM »
Bengali Bob they look awesome

best, Rich

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 01:07 PM »
Sadly, today is a rainy day in the sunny spain. although It's upwards of 19C, but quite dreary.. I have one more day left til back to dreary ole ireland!

:)

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Yes, could do with a few myself Les.  Bloomin' tricky one is the balti. 

I know Rob, I've tried many a time to replicate my local T/a, But to no avail sorry to say, There balti's are the best I've ever tasted, But the chef is a stubborn old git, and shares no info with anybody. Can't blame him really, It's his living.The Chicken Tikka Jhal-Frezi  is to die for.

http://www.bombaybalti.co.uk/order.php

Les

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Lovely pix Bob
To me the Balti is the Holy Grail of curry making. I have only got close once and as usual this was by error rather than judgement, and when I tried to recreate the dish the next day it was absolute pants...as usual.

I live the other side of Brum and always use the same bir because it is consistently good for my fave dish - chicken tikka balti. Only had one bad one in 15 years. Its called The Jahed in Wylde Green Sutton Coldfield (www.jahed.co.uk/). Worth checking out if you are over this side.

Cheers Mick

Regards

Mick

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Lovely pix Bob
To me the Balti is the Holy Grail of curry making. I have only got close once and as usual this was by error rather than judgement, and when I tried to recreate the dish the next day it was absolute pants...as usual.

I live the other side of Brum and always use the same bir because it is consistently good for my fave dish - chicken tikka balti. Only had one bad one in 15 years. Its called The Jahed in Wylde Green Sutton Coldfield (www.jahed.co.uk/). Worth checking out if you are over this side.

Cheers Mick

Regards

Mick

Will do Mick. Thanks for the recommendation. Over that way quite often.  Have a friend in Warmley, which I think is not too far off. Do love a good balti.  Best one I ever had was at a place near Aston Uni.  It's not there any more. When I was waiting for my TA at the Adil the lads there remembered the place, and reckoned what I actually had was not a balti, but a karahi.  It was ultra dry, almost a paste, loaded with caramelised garlic, onion, and green chilli.  Absolutely awesome.  Balti are karahi are now top of my agenda.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Just been reading my own blurb from when I made the Kushi base.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11545.msg89039.html#msg89039

I was getting there.  The texture was very close, but the taste?  Something was missing.  Couldn't put my finger on it, but whatever it was it lifted the Birmingham Balti to dizzy heights.  I think I know what it is now.  Almost certain. Only problem now is how to make it.

©2024 Curry Recipes