Author Topic: Restaurant gravy and vindaloo  (Read 51855 times)

Offline mikehatyai

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant gravy and vindaloo
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 05:28 AM »
Hi Curry King,

I want to give this recipe a try, and I was wondering how big your ladle is and/or how many people does it serve?? I want to try and knock up a large batch and need a point of reference.

Cheers

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 04:52 PM »
Hi Mikehatyai,

This was a while ago and the ladle I used to have was rather small.  I tend to cook by sight so would say you know what a BIR vindaloo looks like thats the amount of sauce you should aim for.  Should be enough to serve two and I would try not to make it in large batches unless your are going to make them separately, curry's like CTM I find are OK to double up on, not so with a vindaloo\madras.

Cheers
cK

Offline nits

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Hi Curry King

Is there any way i can make these curry bases  in bulk and store it in packets for later use?

nits

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2009, 05:24 PM »
hi nits yes you should be able to do that with any of the bases, just when you defrost you may need to re-blend or mix very well. hope this helps in lieu of a reply from CK
regards
gary

Offline jimbarritt

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Hi,

I just found this site today and made my first curry following this recipe!

It turned out brilliantly! I put a fresh chilli in the vindaloo part and grilled some chicken with tandoori masala which although I only marinated for an hour or so worked surprisingly well.

I was surprised at the amount of oil in the recipe but realise this is the trick, finally, Ive made a curry which tastes like that from a take away!

I thought i might have put in a little too much carrot (it was a really big one) when tasting the base sauce, but once i mixed up the vindaloo part with the extra tomato puree it tasted fine.

thanks curry king for a great introduction!

Jim

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Welcome to cr0 Jim, I'm glad the first attempt worked out alright  8)

Offline speres

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Curry King,

Thanks for the recipe, this has been my best attempt yet at a BIR curry (and I have been trying for while),bloody brilliant. I live in NZ now and the restaurants just aint the same.........   good on yer cuz!

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Hi CK

I made both the base and the Vindaloo yesterday and overall I was impressed.

The base was simply awesome. I used 6 fresh peeled tomatoes and a tinned of chopped tomatoes plus I added 300ml of the oil first which I heated up and added the spices to. once they had been sizzling in the oil for a minute I added the onions and vegetables and stirred until they were all covered in the spicy oil. I kept the heat on high for about 5 minutes stirring continuously, then I added the water and simmered for about 2 hours. I then blended with a hand blender left to cool while I went to the park with my kids for an hour, then I simmered again for another 2 - 3 hours until the oil split and I reclaimed for use in the curry stage.

The actual curry itself was a bit bland and I found it hard to get spicy enough. I think my hot chilli powder might be out of date as  I had to keep banging it on the worktop to get it to come out. In all I must have put 6 or 9 teaspoons in but it still wasn't very hot. When I precooked the chicken I fried 4 hot chillis in some oil, added cumin and turmeric and the chicken pieces. I fried them for a minute to cover then added boiling water for 5 minutes. I then added chicken and chillis to the sauce, but it still wasn't very hot - not even Madras hot (unless my tastebuds are just ruined). In hind site I should have thrown in a Dorset Naga chilli, that would have sorted it out! Have you ever had a similar problem before?

Anyway, thanks for a great recipe, I have plenty of base left over for future attempts. It definitely tastes even better this morning then it did yesterday.

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback, I usually add a diced scoth bonnet chili plus a heaped teaspoon of rajah extra hot chili powder, thats usually about right for me.  If your having to put in 9 teaspoons I would say you need some new chili powder  ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2009, 04:55 PM »
The Gravy:
8 Onions
500 ml oil
1 Large carrot
1 Green pepper
2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Tin plum tomato
2 Desert spoons garlic & ginger puree
1 Heaped desert spoon cumin
1 Heaped desert spoon coriander
1 Heaped desert spoon turmeric
Half Desert spoon garam masalla (optional)
Salt (not sure exactly how much but a lot)
Water just below the onions

Boil up everything except the spices, once boiling add the spices and stir in.
Keep stirring and boil until the carrot has gone soft.
Blend the mixture with some added water.
Return to the pot and cook again, adding boiling water to get the right consistency.? It should be runny.
Keep cooking until the oil separates.

The Vindaloo:
3 tbsp Veg oil (approx, if you like it oily add more)
1 tsp Garlic & Ginger puree
Half a tbsp Tomato puree
3 or 4 tsp Chili powder?
Tsp Curry Powder (mix)
6 Ladles of gravy
Small handful of chopped coriander (include the stalk)
Salt to taste
Pre-cooked chicken or meat?

Heat the oil and fry the garlic and ginger puree. Add the tomato puree and fry for a minute. Add the chili powder and curry powder, cook for a further minute. Add a ladle of curry gravy and cook through, add the rest of the gravy. Add chicken and allow to simmer.
Just before serving sprinkle in the chopped coriander and stir in.

There a few pics of the above here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=177.0

Do I take a desertspoon as 10ml?

©2024 Curry Recipes