Author Topic: MARTIN'S ASHOKA MADRAS  (Read 16977 times)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN'S ASHOKA MADRAS
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 02:24 PM »
That is the only "bad" one i have made with the Ashoka base all the other recipes have been quite nice.

Please clarify - which recipe is "the only bad one"?

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:30 PM »
That is the only "bad" one i have made with the Ashoka base all the other recipes have been quite nice.I too have been eating curries for around 30 odd years and have tried a varied amount to date from nearly everywhere in England and a few abroad but never have i tried one from Scotland (well one from Dunfries) so i just need to know "what is the difference?".And what is "that taste".
What makes the Ashoka recipes different from various recipes around this great isle we live on.
Thanks.

Hi Frank,

I'll try to answer to the best of my ability but the best thing would be go there and try one  ;D

The bunjara is very strongly flavoured (if you've never made it up).  It has notes that I would describe as Moorish (from the cinnamon), sweet and has a beautiful warmth to it.  This flavoured addition to the base sauce does 'elevate' the flavour to a more complex dish that you just quite can't put your finger on if I'm honest - it's just a wonderful blend of slightly sweet/tomato/subtle cinnamon/coriander taste that I've just not had in England (and I've lived in Hants, Herts, Gloucester, London, Kent, Belfast & Berks so have been around a few!).  The sauces are more reliant on the bunjara than a mix yet the taste is a bit stronger than in England.  In the restaurant in Scotland (speaking generally!) the portions are much bigger - I have relatives who visit London regularly and refuse to eat Indian there - too expensive and half the amount they say.

To sum it up, if it's possible, I'd say slightly more play on the tomato, cinnamon and coriander blend.  I'd pick a West Coast/Glasgow curry out of a taste challenge every time.

I hope (but doubt!) that helps.  If you're just curious try it.  If you're somewhere in England trying to replicate your local favourite restaurant I'd say forget this but perhaps the bunjara will inspire you to make your own speciality dish.

Incindentally, my parents are down visiting me just now and we've just finished an 'Ashoka'  bhuna.  We had my 'normal' bhuna on Friday night and my dad did say the Ashoka one tasted 'local' and he much preferred it. 

Happy cooking!

Martin   

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Thanks Martin will be giving the bunjara a go with the Ashoka.
And cheers for time to explain.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 09:25 PM »
That is the only "bad" one i have made with the Ashoka base all the other recipes have been quite nice.

Please clarify - which recipe is "the only bad one"?

Its in the earlier post George a CTM.

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Hi all!

Thought I'd make you all a bit jealous as I'm sitting in Spain on holiday just now and last night I made an Ashoka style madras.....mmmmmm! ;D

I achieved this by taking frozen base and bunjara well wrapped and vacuum packed in a cool bag. When I got to the apartment it was still frozen! I do this most years and curries on holiday do taste a bit nicer somehow (mind you not cooking it and having an Ashoka next door would be even better of course!)
Happy hols!
Martin

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 05:58 PM »
So basically you're referring to an SIR and not a BIR  ;D I hope the Irish and Welsh don't kick in cos i couldn't cope with that many abbreviations :o

Rob.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Ha ha Canicant.

I think you will face the wrath of our Scottish friends for you 'SIR' comment.  Scotland is, afterall, in Britain, lol

Ray ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Ha ha Canicant.

I think you will face the wrath of our Scottish friends for you 'SIR' comment.  Scotland is, afterall, in Britain, lol

Ray ;D

Don't think many of us Scots would be unhappy referring to SIR, whether referring to the curries or the people who eat them.

Wouldn't be upset about you referring to a MIR either Razor!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Hi all!

Thought I'd make you all a bit jealous as I'm sitting in Spain on holiday just now and last night I made an Ashoka style madras.....mmmmmm! ;D

I achieved this by taking frozen base and bunjara well wrapped and vacuum packed in a cool bag. When I got to the apartment it was still frozen! I do this most years and curries on holiday do taste a bit nicer somehow (mind you not cooking it and having an Ashoka next door would be even better of course!)
Happy hols!
Martin

Maybe you could teach the spanish how to turn a giant pan of paella into a big pan of Biryani? (Ashoka style of course!!) lol :)

Have a great holiday my friend!! :)

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24 PM »
 ;D

Buenos Dias mes amigos! (hope that's right)

Paella? Does that stuff have chilli in it? If not I've never tried it, lol.

Martin retires to the bar for another cervesa grande, smug in the knowledge that he has enough base and bunjara left
for 2 more madras, he he he

Coupon iPhones and their small keyboards!

Feelin' hot hot hot!

Martin retires to the bar for another cervesa grande

Feelin' hot, hot, hot!!!

©2024 Curry Recipes