Author Topic: Chicken Madras, KD1-derived  (Read 19866 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras, KD1-derived
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 09:26 AM »
Hi Phil

The restaurants around here all use the Pataks Kashmiri Massala paste that you described. I bet it goes into more dishes than you would imagine.

Chris

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Phil, thanks for the detailed reply, it sounds like the base is quite thin. I'm certainly going to test this out with my next batch of base. I know the chef at the IG was quite keen to show me how thin his base was. I am beginning to think I am not adding enough water to thin the base after blending.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 09:35 AM »
The restaurants around here all use the Pataks Kashmiri Massala paste that you described. I bet it goes into more dishes than you would imagine.
Ah ...

Phil, thanks for the detailed reply, it sounds like the base is quite thin. I'm certainly going to test this out with my next batch of base. I know the chef at the IG was quite keen to show me how thin his base was. I am beginning to think I am not adding enough water to thin the base after blending.
Well, there would have been little water loss during the pressure cooking phase, and the open pan phase with the tomato is short in comparison, so I felt no need to add any water after blending.  On the other hand, the base definitely doesn't leave a spoon clean if you fill one and then pour out the contents, and as you stir it you know you are stirring something with suspended solids rather than a pure liquid.  I am wondering how I can photograph the base to demonstrate its thickness; more when I have worked it out !

OK, below shows the lid of the storage container at an angle of 85 degrees (i.e., near vertical) with the base clinging to it; this may help to visualise its consistency.  As far as verbal description goes, I really think that Baxter's Lobster Bisque is about as close as it gets : I might open one for lunch today (if I remember to defrost a loaf) and then I can do a real comparison.

** Phil.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:48 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Hi Phil,

I think the Kashmiri masala that chewy talks of is actually a powder, not a paste?  Kitchen King and Chicken Masala, also great flavour additions.

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 10:00 AM »
I think the Kashmiri masala that chewy talks of is actually a powder, not a paste?
Yes, I was beginning to fear that !

Kitchen King and Chicken Masala, also great flavour additions.
OK, I shall look out for them next time I am Tunbridge Wells.  As far as I could seem, the Gurkha shops in Ashford don't keep the MDH range, but the shop in Tunbridge Wells most certainly does and I shall be over there at least twice if not three times in the next week or so ...

** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Hi Phil,

The Kitchen King, Kashmiri Masala and Chicken Masala that I use, are all 'Mangal'  There is anither brand that I have seen 'shaan' that do these products also.  I can't recall seeing them by MDH but it's possible.

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 10:29 AM »
The Kitchen King, Kashmiri Masala and Chicken Masala that I use, are all 'Mangal'  There is anither brand that I have seen 'shaan' that do these products also.  I can't recall seeing them by MDH but it's possible.
OK, Shan I know and have used (their "Nihari" mix; has anyone else eaten authentic Nihari ?  Khanh & I love it.); with the MDH web site down (are they going into liquidation, one fears ?) it is hard to check their full range.  Mangal is new to me, but checking their web site I see they offer a similar range to MDH.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 11:26 AM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 12:00 PM »
This may be of some use to you Phil:
Thank you !

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 12:05 PM »
Hi Phil,

Just been doing a web search on Paprika, following our debate yesterday.  It seems that Hot Paprika is infact made from mild chilli peppers and not capsicum, as used for sweet/standard paprika.

Sooooo, I will stand by my comparison that Kashmiri Mirch could, in certain circumsatnces, be substituted with Hot Paprika!

:P :P :P

Paprika is a red powder that is made from grinding the dried pods of mild varieties of the pepper plant known as (Capsicum annuum L.) The pepper plants used to make this spice range from the sweet Bell pepper to the milder chili peppers. The Paprika peppers originally grown were hot. Over time, they have evolved to the milder varieties.

Ray ;) :P

©2024 Curry Recipes