Author Topic: My take on Madras  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
My take on Madras
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:34 PM »
Keith asked me for a good recipe for Madras, I don't have one however having watched a few demos it doesn't take a genius to work out how a BIR would cook a Madras. My feeling on madras is its a hot curry but not quite as hot as a vindaloo, Ive given a few variations as I know different restaurants do.

I will post separately on my technique but you should be stirring and shaking the pan throughout until the final gravy is added and make sure you have all ingredients to hand, if you waste time measuring out teaspoons of this and that your curry will be burnt.

For 1 portion:

Heat 4 TBSP of veg oil/veg ghee mixture (50/50) on a very high heat
Add 1 TBSP garlic puree, cook until starting to slightly brown (feel free to use ginger/garlic puree instead)
Add 3 TBSP pre cooked onion, cook for 30 seconds
Add 2 TBSP tomato paste (pasata, watered puree or pureed tinned tomatoes, whole no juice), cook for 30 seconds
Add 1 TSP restaurant masala, 1/2 TSP salt and 1-3 TSP chilli powder depending on strength (I use rajah extra hot and thats 1 TSP), cook for 30 seconds
Add pre cooked meat/veg/prawns etc with 1/2 TSP fenugreek leaves and one quarter of a fresh tomato cook for 30 seconds
Add 1/3 ladle of curry gravy (pete's 600ml oil is my current top of the shop), it should all evaporate
Add 1 ladle of curry gravy and a hand full of chopped coriander, reduce heat to a simmer for a few minutes and serve garnished with fresh coriander.

This is the basic recipe which to me is a madras, other variations from recipes I have seen and tales from BIR's are to add 1 TBSP lemon juice and 2 TBSP ground almonds, also add 2-4 TBSP tomato paste. I think all of this would be done at the stage when adding the final ladle of gravy.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 11:23 AM by Mark J »

Keith

Re: My take on Madras
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:15 PM »
thanks for that mark . ive tried a few similar recipes , I  will try this one tonight . You talk of dedication ... this will be my eighth night of curry !!                                                                                                                                                      . I think the resturant masalas vary quite alot though . Is there a particular mix of spices you use ?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 02:27 PM »
Add 1 TSP restaurant masala, 1/2 TSP salt and 1-3 TSP curry powder depending on strength (I use rajah extra hot and thats 1 TSP), cook for 30 seconds

Mark do you mean chili powder rather than curry powder?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 02:35 PM »
Oops, well spotted CK, yes, amended

Keith

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 02:43 PM »
Mark
Well what i mean is there seems to be so many different translations of curry powder . For example my local talks of curry powder that he makes up and tells me that he has many spices in it including black pepper/chilli powder and all the other usual spices. then you have garam masala which has some of the same spices . Is there a definitive mix for curry powder and garam masala or are you just aswell buying the Rajah mixes ?
Keith

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Hi Keith,

I think that the general "way of things" now is that restaurant masala or curry powder mix refers to the mix described in the curry house magazine article posted by pete.? This is made up of the following:

Coriander 8 Parts
Turmeric 7 Parts
Cumin 5 Parts
Curry Powder 4 Parts (Rajah)
Paprika 4 Parts(optional)

Theres a few variations on this but ive been using this with good results.

For standard curry powder I think most poeple are using the Rajah packets, I maybe wrong of course??
I use the mild one myself.

Cheers
cK
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 05:04 PM by Curry King »

Keith

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 04:12 PM »
Ok thats great , much clearer ! Thanks
Back to the kitchen  :P
keith

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 11:26 PM »
Mark
Well what i mean is there seems to be so many different translations of curry powder . For example my local talks of curry powder that he makes up and tells me that he has many spices in it including black pepper/chilli powder and all the other usual spices. then you have garam masala which has some of the same spices . Is there a definitive mix for curry powder and garam masala or are you just aswell buying the Rajah mixes ?
Keith
Hi Keith, when I say rest. masala I use the one by Bruce Edwards that Pete posted in the ebook section - Curry House Cookery

cheers

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 09:04 AM »
I agree on that curry powder mix, thats the one i am using and it works....its got to be fresh spice to get the best results.

S

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 04:57 AM »
Yes, I grind all my spices fresh in a coffee grinder

©2024 Curry Recipes