Author Topic: Prawn Madras & Chicken Balti demo  (Read 40085 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Prawn Madras & Chicken Balti demo
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 09:43 AM »
I made the prawn madras exactly as shown
I wanted everything at the the same stage as I saw in the restaurant
Their garlic ginger puree was oily and turning a bit bluey green, so I made some up the day before.
I usually add the oil at the time of blending garlic & ginger
Some restaurants do this and the result is a very white puree
Pacman (who has done several posts on this site) likened it's appearance to horseradish sauce.
So I experimented and found that, to get the result I wanted, you puree garlic & ginger with a little water, then add oil afterwards. (pictured)
The tomato puree I used was from a large can
There was a debate running on this site about which puree or passata to use
I went out and bought a can from an Asian supermarket
It's not a concentrate
I can't remember it's name
I froze, what wasn't used, at the time.
Anyhow, it's very thick (pictured) and it defrosted fine.
I reckoned that because my gas rings is smaller, than a restaurants cooker, I should use a pan no wider than it's flame.
So I cooked using a small pot.
I used Kris Dhillon's base

The red arrow indicates the bought curry
The green is my version
There is an obvious colour difference
But the chef said a base, made at home, would be a different colour.
Mine tasted fresher, but the other one had been frozen.
But mine was right!!
It had the taste
The sour yet sweet flavour
Mildly spiced yet chilli hot
Wonderfull aroma
I have finally done it
A direct comparison, and it holds it's own
The Kris Dhillon base is correct
Perhaps a little tweaking might be in order
I appreciate there also may be regional differences
But I know that, taking the curry base I made, I could have used any of the demo recipes on this site, and turned it into whatever they were meant to be

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 10:00 AM »
Yeahaaaaaaa !!!!!

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2005, 10:10 AM »
Now that I've calmed down a bit...... we need to put this in context

Pete is a guy that buys a tandoor to try to recreate the taste. Used onions at the end of the tikka skewer to see if the taste is hiding in there. Puts on fake tan and a turban while standing at the cooker (no offence intended). Every time, he comes out dissapointed. So for him to say he has the taste has got to be treated with credability.

This dish had no methi ? I'd always considered that a definite - must try without next time.

What version of the spice mix did you use ?

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Hi Pete,  That looks good enough to eat!  Did you use any oil that had been used before or not?  I am still reusing the spiced oil from previous curries and does give a very definate flavour/aroma.  Its the way to go when making the gravy and that is to put a huge amount of oil and then take it off before blending the onions.

How do you manage to get demos so often? Oh and by the way, how is the tandoor oven coming along?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 03:50 PM »
I have found in the past that the K D recipe gave me one of the 2 tastes to be exactly like my local Take-away is it the one in the little gem of a book " The Curry Secret " ?
I may combine this with my own Vindallloo & see what i come up with .
yours DARTHPHALL..... 8).....

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 08:20 AM »
This dish had no methi ? I'd always considered that a definite - must try without next time.
What version of the spice mix did you use ?
Hi Blade
           No methi and I used Bruce Edwards Curry House Cookery Spice mix
Kris Dhillons base really is correct (from this curry house anyhow)
It was the best I have made, and I shall be chucking all my old stuff from the freezer and starting again!

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 08:22 AM »
Hi Pete,? That looks good enough to eat!? Did you use any oil that had been used before or not?? I am still reusing the spiced oil from previous curries and does give a very definate flavour/aroma.? Its the way to go when making the gravy and that is to put a huge amount of oil and then take it off before blending the onions.

How do you manage to get demos so often? Oh and by the way, how is the tandoor oven coming along?

Hi CQ
        It's all skimmed oil for me now
That is the way the curry houses round here do it!
I've got to go to work
will post later

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 09:42 AM »
Hi Pete,

I tried this last night, the KD base and then followed your madras recipe.  The end curry was nice but im not convinced about the base espcially in 2 parts.  I remembered why I was never that keen on it in the first place, that smell of boiled onions stinks, when I first sat down to eat my curry for some reason that was all I could smell and taste.  I think maybe I will try another curry tonight and hopefully will be better due to not having to make the base again. 

Anyone eles tried ths yet?

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Hi Pete,

I tried this last night, the KD base and then followed your madras recipe.? The end curry was nice but im not convinced about the base espcially in 2 parts.? I remembered why I was never that keen on it in the first place, that smell of boiled onions stinks, when I first sat down to eat my curry for some reason that was all I could smell and taste.? I think maybe I will try another curry tonight and hopefully will be better due to not having to make the base again.?

Anyone eles tried ths yet?

I had given up on KD's base
But when I bought curries, there seemed to the flavour of her base in it
That's why I used her base again
When I had the demo they actually let me cook some of it myself
You need to use oil scooped from the top of the curry base, or you won't get the flavour.
This really makes a massive difference
The tomato puree was not from a tube but a large can (I will find out the name)
It's not as concentrated as the tube stuff
It donates quite a bit of the finished flavour
One other thing I think really important is using a small pan
This means the flames cover the whole area of it's base.
I think if you get cold edges to the pan then you are not doing it as a restaurant.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 01:50 PM »
Hi Pete,

I did use the oil from the gravy and I think I know the puree\passata stuff your on about ive had a large tin from the local asian store which ive tried before.? Last night I used a small tin of regular tom puree.? Like you I never thought much of the KD base and im still not convinced to be honest even the day after the stuff reaks I just can't see how its right.? What I might do is make my regular base but omit the spices I would normaly use for just turmeric and paprika.? I usualy love the smell of a big pot of base bubbling away for a few hours, even opening? the windows so the neighbours can smell it, last night I felt I should shut them before I recieved complaints? ::)

Another thing I don't quite agree with is the cooking it in 2 parts, like curry queen said on the other forum whats the point?? I can't see a restaurant messing about with it like that and it would probably help keep the smell down!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 01:52 PM by Curry King »

©2024 Curry Recipes