Author Topic: Chicken Pathia with Taz Base  (Read 35938 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Pathia with Taz Base
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:58 AM »
that patia looks spot on, the colour is the way I remember it from Glasgow restaurants.
This would seem to indicate regional differences once again; I used to eat chicken pathia quite regularly in the 70's in London and the S.E., and have no recollection of ever eating one that was the colour of Stephen's.

Did it taste like a curry with a sweet and sour taste through it?
That was certainly how they were advertised on the menu, but I seem to recall that both the sweet and the sour elements were definitely understated in the final dish.

What I also found interesting (and still do, to this day) is that Dhansak & Pathia dishes were always served with pilau rice, unlike all other main courses for which one had to order rice separately.  It is almost as if those two must be eaten with pilau rice, whereas other dishes can go equally well with boiled rice, chapatti, roti, paratha, nan, whatever.

** Phil.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 10:07 AM »

What I also found interesting (and still do, to this day) is that Dhansak & Pathia dishes were always served with pilau rice, unlike all other main courses for which one had to order rice separately.  It is almost as if those two must be eaten with pilau rice, whereas other dishes can go equally well with boiled rice, chapatti, roti, paratha, nan, whatever.

** Phil.

Hi

Yes! - I had completely forgotten about this! - wonder where this practace came into being?

Cheers

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Dhansak was usually served with half a portion of rice, maybe because it's made with lentils which are quite filling.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Dhansak was usually served with half a portion of rice, maybe because it's made with lentils which are quite filling.

I've ordered and enjoyed dhansaks dozens of times since the 1980s and, as mentioned, it mostly comes with pilau rice included. The practice now seems to be dying out though, probably as a new generation of managers take over and spoil as many things as they can. I never noticed it was a half portion, though, I'm fairly sure it was a normal, full-sized portion of pilau rice that I was always given, in many, many different BIRs in several regions of England.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 08:30 PM »
At my local T/A the dhansak still comes with pilau rice but the pathia doesn't. Dhansak round these parts in the 70s and early 80s came with half a portion of pilau rice but like most things it seems to have increased in size like doner kebabs, I could walk a long the street eating one after the pub but now even with a small one is imposable without wearing most of it.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 06:58 PM »
That was a great pic, but did we ever find out where the colour came from- surely not just the tom paste? Nice one all the same  :)

Offline EuanW

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 12:36 AM »
As a Glaswegian, I can confirm that 90% of the Pathias up here are a dark red colour. I think I can remember one time only where it was a yellow colour.

Cooked up a Taz base today, so I may give this Patia a go tomorrow. Either than or a Dansak, haven't made up my mind yet !

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Put me in the mood - might give this one a whirl tonight :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Did give it a whirl, with lamb, and I have to say it is delicious. Used my own base but followed the rest to the letter. Don't know how I missed this one before so thanks to Euan for bumping it.

Did have to add a little colouring to get it reddish.....

Offline Nickywelsh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:17 PM »
I made this on Saturday using the Undercover Curry base. Very tasty, although not as wonderfully red as yours. I think I'm going to try it with some additional tinned tomatoes next time.

©2024 Curry Recipes