Author Topic: chicken vindaloo form Rajver  (Read 4691 times)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
chicken vindaloo form Rajver
« on: October 23, 2005, 02:16 PM »
hi guys/girls

at last managed to type up  the recipe from my visit to watch my vindaloo cooked sorry it has been so long so i hope it is worth the wait ;)

Ingredients
2tbsp veg oil(i have reused oil form top of gravy )
1/2 tsp fine chopped garlic
7-8 pieces of cooked chicken( just boil in water with 1/2 tsp of turmeric for 10-15mins)
1tsp rajver masala(mix together 2pts turmeric 1 chillipowder 1coriander 1 cummin 1 garam masala)
1 1/2 tsp tomato puree( from tin watered down slightly not runny)
4-5tsps chilli powder
a good squirt clear malt vinegar :D
2-3 ladles onion gravy
4 pieces cooked potato( boiled with turmeric)
2 tsp fresh coriander
1/2 tsp salt

heat oil (not too hot) add garlic fry for 30seconds until it "floats" then remove from heat to add salt, tomato puree, masala mix, chilli and then the vinegar return to heat for 10seconds then quickly add 1 ladle of onion gravy mix well cook for 3-4mins to evaporate down. add another ladle of gravy then add chicken cook quite high for 4-5 mins then add the potato add a little  more gravy cook for 3-4 mins then add the coriander mix well for 1 min then serve :). it tastes fantastic give it a go using the onion gravy i posted from rajver. as i have said before you might be surprised. then try this method using KDs' modified sauce try using 1/2 quantity of ginger add more oil  and water down to the right consistency maybe try cooking the onions ginger garlic boiling for the first 1/2 hour then simmering for a further 1/2 hour, blend the add the tomatoes fried in oil and turmeric(tarka) then boil/simmer skim for the last 30mins.
i have had one thought maybe it is the raw onions the give overpowering smell( it does linger alot) remember passing a hot dog stand , from  how far away can you smell those boiled onions. so maybe we should wash them 1st then blanch them before putting them in the pot for cooking? it's an idea

well i hope you all good cooking

gary

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: chicken vindaloo form Rajver
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 02:43 PM »
I have never seen vinegar used before
I tried  a Pat Chapman recipe with vinegar
But I'll give this a go
Do you think it was close to the restaurant  version?

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 08:28 PM »
Vinegar is  a prime ingredient in the traditional vindalloo recipe .

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 09:13 AM »
hi pete
yes it was very good and vey close to what i get, but i'm sure that if i can get the full recipe for the base from the chef then it will be even closer. maybe i will have to do KDs' gravy after all. but heh we all started there anyway.

hi cc- yes i know that it is an ingredient in trad vindaloo but because you add it then place over a flame most of it has evaporated in the blinking of an eye( or is that singe of an eye). it doesnot overwhelm the spices gravy or chilli. ;D

btw you can adjust the chilli powder to taste as the chef knows i like a hot vindaloo

regards
gary( woodpecker)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 09:22 AM »
but i'm sure that if i can get the full recipe for the base from the chef then it will be even closer.
You have got to do this.
It sounds like you're on good cooking terms already!
I suspect it will confirm ingredients we already know, but maybe there will be that something extra!

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:37 PM »
anyone tried this lately? add a good pinch of methi leaves just as sauce comes to the boil as with the madras sauce as well as a pinch of coriander, then finish with the coriander when serving

©2024 Curry Recipes