Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 335993 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #590 on: September 24, 2016, 09:11 PM »
All that makes sense to me apart from "how much time you spend frying the base" -- could you possibly explain how that comes into the equation, please ?

Basically, it's about when you make it in the pan.  Rather than explain it again, and that I haven't really done it in at least 6 years, this is a post I did years ago earlier in the thread. Skip to the METHOD heading: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.msg19827.html#msg19827

OK, so I misunderstood.  It's not (as I thought) how much time you spend frying the base /when you are making the base/, it's how much time you spend frying the base /when you are making the finished dish/.  All now clear.

** Phil.

Offline Nickywelsh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 13, 2017, 08:30 AM »
Apologies, can I ask, is the oil skimmed and 'reclaimed' or do I emulsify it into the end base (once it separates)

Bing

« Reply #592 on: October 25, 2018, 09:23 PM »
This looks like the real deal to me, great appreciation for your shared efforts.

Bing

« Reply #593 on: October 28, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Error post removed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:56 PM by Bing »

Bobdylan

« Reply #594 on: November 26, 2018, 10:04 PM »
After patiently reading through the majority of Sns topic, I couldn’t help but feel for SnS. Clearly someone who put their time, effort and heart in a genuine recipe. Only to be extensively belittled by CorryAnders and his inability to except mistakes, continually rebuffing help and advice offered.
SnS if your still viewing! Awesome informative recipe and discussion. With thanks. Bob.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #595 on: November 26, 2018, 10:52 PM »
Bobdylan, your interpretation of Cory Ander's posts being belittling to SNS is not the way I read it.  The first 20 odd pages so far  anyway.  This from page 7 indicates that they are in fact well known to each other and were apparently quite convivial.
I have known SnS for some considerable time now (over 48 years in fact!) and I can POSITIVELY GUARANTEE that, if SnS says its from a pucker, high quality BIR restaurant/takeway, then it most certainly is!

A quick flick through, stopping to read only CA's posts indicates to me that he was predominately asking pertinent questions of other posters in this thread, albeit in his own abrupt style.  At no point do I read anything belittling to SNS, who incidentally has not posted since Jan 22, 2013. (You can find this out by clicking on the member's Username)

Thanks for posting in this thread though, because it is yet another great read, on a good base recipe and provides a real snapshot into the once superbly productive nature of the forum in it's heyday.

Edit: I think I see what you've done Bobdylan.  You appear to have mixed up SnS (SmokenSpices) with SS (Secret Santa).  I don't read anything other than an impassioned debate with CA and SnS versus SS about the definition and effect of scum.  This is around the middle of the thread. Still reading though.

2nd Edit.  I've read it all now.  The only "clash" between CA and SnS is around the mid 40's pages where they discuss the oil separation and potato types.  There is no hostility in any of this. Good healthy discussion and sharing of well researched results from testing.  I love JerryM's approach to his curry. He reminds me of me.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:58 PM by livo »

Bobdylan

« Reply #596 on: November 27, 2018, 04:57 AM »
Livo I would like to suggest you keep your corrections to yourself, your opinion is welcome. However to try and suggest you have a better understanding of my post than myself, especially posting opinions about my posts before even reading the entire thread. Then making highlighted edits. Well this is the same arrogance displayed by CA the same arrogance I’m referring to ::) Oh and your little pat on the back to yourself at the end.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:13 AM by Bobdylan »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from vist to Saffron
« Reply #597 on: November 27, 2018, 06:52 AM »
I love JerryM's approach to his curry...

+1 Sadly missed from this forum.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 27, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Me too. The 40 odd page balti thread is worth a read if anyone hasn't already.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 27, 2018, 08:39 AM »
The fact is Bob, you were wrong.  Your claim that CA was belittling to SnS (the OP) could not be further from the written facts.  They were actually arguing the same point together against SS (Secret Santa).  Read it all again because you clearly missed the whole thing.  Read it again and again and then read your post. WRONG.   Not to mention that CA's contribution to the thread dropped right away at the point I commented in my edit to tell you how it was that you mistakenly mixed up the usernames. And you clearly did.  Either that or you are not always playing your A game..

Please show us all where CA and SnS were at loggerheads and how CA was in any way belittling to him.  Which page?  Use a quote if you wish.  Or more to the point, how was CA belittling to anybody other than mildly critical towards SS, who incidentally held his own, in a healthy debate about SCUM.  As much as CA has been chastised in the forum, this is clearly not the case  for it here in this thread.

I'm not patting myself on the back.  I pale into insignificance compared to JerryM.  I was simply implying that I also like to follow an analytical approach.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:54 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes