Author Topic: Zaal - Restaurant Base / Garabi  (Read 127431 times)

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Zaal - Restaurant Base / Garabi
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 12:47 PM »
Thank you Solarsplace

For those who have tried both is it much better than the original C2G base?

And, in the Akhni Stock stage, can I clarify that is it just water that's boiled with the whole spices/leaves?  I ask because in the photo it looks like oil....?

Thanks!  :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Hi solarsplace how much water is added to the medium pan for the Akhani stock.
Great post and very informative.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Hi

Not personally tried the C2G base - so cannot comment there.

The Akhni stock is (in this case) just 1 litre of water and whole spices. No oil involved.

Cheers

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 01:31 PM »
Thank you Solarsplace

For those who have tried both is it much better than the original C2G base?

And, in the Akhni Stock stage, can I clarify that is it just water that's boiled with the whole spices/leaves?  I ask because in the photo it looks like oil....?

Thanks!  :)

Not so much a question of 'better' - just slightly different. Different base recipes lend themselves to different uses / personal tastes. For instance, I currently alternate between three or four bases, depending how the mood takes me (C2G, Zaal, Chewy's and my own). There's not a huge difference between them to be honest (and why should there be, as they're all simply slight variations on the subtely spiced onion/garlic/ginger/veg stew theme), but for me, I find the Zaal style of base works well with hotter curries, which is where my prediliction lies (hence why I tend to make this style more than others).

The other bases are what I'd call all-rounders (though the C2G is a little heavier on the spicing).

If called to question I couldn't tell you why. As said, it's a personal taste thing.

I'm also a fan of the Taz base, but this is heavy on the oil and requires a different technique when cooking the curry (a fairly intense initial reduction phase), so I've left it out here.

The other thing to remember is that if you put any two of us in the same kitchen with the same ingredients and base recipe, you'd end up with two slightly different results (I'd put money on it!), so, as has ever been the case, it's all about trying different bases and finding out which works best for you and the style of curries you like.

Something I do from time to time is take it all back to base basics and knock one up using just onions, garlic, and ginger. If you start from this point with the three core ingredients, and then build from there, you gain a more intimate understanding of how additional ingredients work to achieve the (hopefully desired) end result.

Not sure if any of that rambling has helped!

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 02:38 PM »
These seemed OK in a PM to myself as a test, so trying them here :
  • Unicode fractions :

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Very nicely presented, SP, well done!  8)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Thanks SD for the earlier post and a thoughtful bit of rambling for the second one  ;) 

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Something I do from time to time is take it all back to base basics and knock one up using just onions, garlic, and ginger. If you start from this point with the three core ingredients, and then build from there, you gain a more intimate understanding of how additional ingredients work to achieve the (hopefully desired) end result.

Not sure if any of that rambling has helped!

It helps immensely, thank you  :D  I like the idea of going back to basics - a method of how to do taste tests of individual spices to find out which I like and which I could do without, and how they all work together would be a long (working through my spice cupboard!) but ultimately rewarding experience

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 10:39 PM »
Hi

Not personally tried the C2G base - so cannot comment there.

The Akhni stock is (in this case) just 1 litre of water and whole spices. No oil involved.

Cheers

Thanks for the clarification  :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04 AM »
Thanks solarsplace.

©2024 Curry Recipes