Author Topic: Cracked it!  (Read 11067 times)

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked it!
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 01:03 PM »
forgot to say its a light flavour, perfect heat, bloody lovely, this is now my go to base, cheers guys

:) :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Looks good, but do you not slit your king prawns along the back ?  I find that king prawns cooked whole develop a tough outer layer that spoils the texture, but if the inner flesh is exposed by slitting half-way through from the back then the texture is markedly improved.  I made king prawn chow mien last night, and all the prawns were prepared in this way.

** Phil.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 08:41 PM »
forgot to say its a light flavour, perfect heat, bloody lovely, this is now my go to base, cheers guys

:) :)
Hi Spook
Sorry if you're repeating but what actually is the recipe using this Dhillon with Green Pepper base?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Sorry if you're repeating but what actually is the recipe using this Dhillon with Green Pepper base?

The way I read it haldi it's just the standard Kris Dhillon base with a green pepper added but I'm sure Spook will clarify.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Looks good, but do you not slit your king prawns along the back ?

Surely if they're king prawns they  have to be deveined, unless you like the taste of prawn crap, so they'd always be split anyway?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 09:54 PM »
hi spook the raj huh? u must know rupon raj's brother then he used to run mouchak in st michaels before it was taken over! rupon gave me the recipe for their base and mixed powder too.  i cooked a chicken tikka madras for them and they offered me a partnership if i could find somewhere suitable. you should check out the post of mouchak base and recipes and and mixed powder too. i have also seen my vindaloo being cooked in mouchak kitchen too. their base has carrot in too and before u question that i have seen it cooking in their kitchen! and yes i too have tasted their base sauce too. but the smell of the takeaway in my car on the short drive back to biddenden was mmmm unmistakabley Mouchak/raj! :-P did u know raj owns the raj of kent in maidstone ( the largest in kent ) and also a restaurant in dartford too!
regards
gary

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 06:59 AM »
Didn't know about slicing the prawns, my sons a chef and said defrost and remove the tails as pictured, they came frozen in a big bag and looked like they just had the tails on, but I like advice and will try the slice method :)

Ingredients
    4 large spanish onions(500g each before peeling)
    2 oz green ginger(morrisons cubed frozen warmed up)
    2 oz garlic(morrisons cubed frozen warmed up)
    1 green pepper(de seeded)
    1 red pepper(de seeded)
    3 pints water
    1 teaspoon salt
    400g tin chopped tomatoes
    8 tablespoons veg ghee oil
    1 teaspoon tomato puree(liquidised plum toms)
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 small carrot(remembered this from my conversation with the Raj owner)

Stage One

Peel onions and carrot and throw everything in!
    Bring up to pressure at max. power, then back power off to the point where it will just maintain pressure and cook for 1 1/2 hours.(mines a Fagor pressure cooker 8qrt from America,I think its 14lb psi thanks ebay ;)
    Remove from the heat source and wait for the pressure to drop to the point where the lid can safely be opened.
    Using a stick blender, blend the base until it is smooth

Sorry for not getting back to you all quicker, had a garden day yesterday and it almost killed me lol

cheers

spook :)

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 08:36 AM »
Is there a stage 2 to this base?

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 09:09 PM »
There is a stage 2 if you look in the link I provided on the earlier pages, but like Phil, I've skipped the 2nd stage as I wanted a more natural base.

:)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 09:20 AM »
thanks Spook
so which do you use, ghee or oil in the base?
and what is the recipe for the curry?

©2024 Curry Recipes