Author Topic: almost there! But always have sour taste  (Read 4703 times)

Offline rasseru

• Chef
    • View Profile
almost there! But always have sour taste
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:09 PM »
Hi there, long time lurker and curry practitioner.  Trying to be more involved now.

I am almost there with my curries!  They are nice but still lacking something (this might be method), while also always having something - which is the point of this post.

I have a sour taste in my finished curries, and i dont know where its coming from.

My method is this:

onions
1 red pepper
1 carrot
ginger/garlic
cumin
turmeric
little salt
coriander stalks
some oil
water to cover - then boil all these for a couple of hours and then blend till smooth.

add water to get it to a thinner consistency prior to adding later.

then fry in oil:
chopped onion
garlic / ginger
tomato puree (from chopped tomatoes)
mix powder (small amount mixed with water to avoid burning)
add some base
precooked chicken
add browned garlic + some of its oil
add rest of base & cook till oil separates and consistency is good. add water if necessary
fresh coriander

this is my basic curry.  It is pretty good.  But every one I have done recently with this method has had a sour taste & i dont know where its coming from!  its almost like lemon but I havent even added any.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: almost there! But always have sour taste
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:28 PM »
I don't know what is causing it, but what I would do if I were you would be to remove one non-essential ingredient at a time until the sour flavour goes.  For example, in your base, you need water and onions -- all of the other ingredients are optional.  In the main course, you need the oil, base, the chicken and the mix(ed) powder -- again, nothing else.   If eliminating each in these does not identify the culprit, then you will need to repeat by eliminating one ingredient from your mix(ed) powder at a time ...

** Phil.

Offline rasseru

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Yeah, i am of the same thinking. Next time i make base i'll only use onions - it might be because i've been getting better after adding the carrots and peppers that i'm now overdoing it a bit.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:31 AM »
The base needs to taste sweet as that counteracts some of the sourness that might be encountered elsewhere, from blended tomatoes for example. The mix powder is then a likely culprit. Are you using a generic curry powder in it? If so try another brand. Also try tomato puree as that has a much more mellow flavour than most tinned toms. Also don't undercook the curry, have enough water in your base that it takes a good time to cook down at constant high heat. That should ensure any "rawness" is cooked out. Otherwise, what Phil said.

Oh, and I notice you're adding water to the mix powder to avoid burning. You could do worse than try my "bung it all in method" where this issue is not an issue! Just add all ingredients to the pot, stir to get it all mixed, and boil at maximum heat until done (good oil separation). Stir seldomly, once or twice maximum throughout the cook.

Offline rasseru

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 05:39 PM »
The base needs to taste sweet as that counteracts some of the sourness that might be encountered elsewhere, from blended tomatoes for example. The mix powder is then a likely culprit. Are you using a generic curry powder in it? If so try another brand. Also try tomato puree as that has a much more mellow flavour than most tinned toms. Also don't undercook the curry, have enough water in your base that it takes a good time to cook down at constant high heat. That should ensure any "rawness" is cooked out. Otherwise, what Phil said.

Oh, and I notice you're adding water to the mix powder to avoid burning. You could do worse than try my "bung it all in method" where this issue is not an issue! Just add all ingredients to the pot, stir to get it all mixed, and boil at maximum heat until done (good oil separation). Stir seldomly, once or twice maximum throughout the cook.

Happens the same with puree.   And I do add sugar as well, forgot to put that.

I generally like TRS spices as I can get big packs of them.  Not sure another brand to try?

Curry is defo not undercooked :)

with stirring seldomly, does anything get burnt?  is it burnt around the edges of the pan at all? 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 07:19 PM »
with stirring seldomly, does anything get burnt?  is it burnt around the edges of the pan at all?
Many believe that "burnt around the edge of the pan" is essential; they would term it "caramelisation", and tell you that it must be scraped off and stirred back in.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 07:35 PM »
I think you have to use a bit of good ol' common sense. If the edges of the pan look like they're going to burn then scrape around to avoid that. But, in general, use minimum stirrring of the bulk.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 01:22 PM »
I agree that the whole 'not stirring' thing is fundamental. To the extent that, becasue we're on electric and can't hit the good temperatures as the gas, with a thinnish base, ,I cover the pan for a few minutes, so as to let the condensation return to the sauce, further liquidize it, before eventually taking the lid off as it starts sticking. Bingo.

Offline vindalooelvis

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 08:32 AM »
It only takes one rogue ingredient to ruin a curry, had this with some ktc lemon juice, made my curries taste like a sweet and sour.

Are you using fresh garlic and ginger or is it a jarred one?

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Nazirs curry paste always has a sour / tinny taste to it - tasty though all the same - but not many places stock it.

©2024 Curry Recipes