Author Topic: Curryheads "Madras 2011"  (Read 126982 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curryheads "Madras 2011"
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Hi SP, I appreciate you taking time to do the side-by-side comparison of fry first versus reduction on it's own.

It kind of blows Bruce Edwards advice out of the water, something I have suspected for some time. I've watched loads of youtube videos of traditional Indian cooking and they are extremely cautious about frying spice powders and always quick to add water to the frying spices to stop them from burning.

Thanks to Mick for the recipe - I look forward to trying soon. The only question I have is whether it will be madras hot with 1.5 tsp of deggi mirch. I've got an unopened box of the stuff but don't know how hot it is.

I've been using Natco hot chilli powder and 2 tsp does not produce the heat of a typical madras. I would estimate a whole tablespoon would be required.

Also, when using this much chilli powder do we drop back on the spice mix quantity?

One more question for SP - are you using spiced oil or regular oil both for the base and final cook?

Cheers,

Paul

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2011, 11:48 AM »
I will say though, that I need to find a new favourite TA, because this combination absolutely shat on their Madras without a second thought!
Now that is the best news in a long while  ;D
** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Hi Paul,

I use MDH brand Deggi Mirch and it IS slightly hotter than say, Rajah chilli powder.

I admit, I usually use 2 tsp of this in my madras but I only use about 1.5 tsp of spice mix, so I'm keen to see what this recipe brings.

I think it best to go with all of Micks suggestions first, then, if is your want, you can develop it to suit your own taste.

Really looking forward to this, gotta admit ;D

Ray :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Thanks to Mick for the recipe - I look forward to trying soon. The only question I have is whether it will be madras hot with 1.5 tsp of deggi mirch. I've got an unopened box of the stuff but don't know how hot it is.

I've been using Natco hot chilli powder and 2 tsp does not produce the heat of a typical madras. I would estimate a whole tablespoon would be required.

IMO the Deggi powder that I have tried seemed to be quite mild, really just a hot Paprika? - we may need to discuss this further!

Have you every tried the TRS extra hot chili powder? that stuff is very powerful!

One more question for SP - are you using spiced oil or regular oil both for the base and final cook?

Personally I am a really big fan of the spiced oil, but have run out :( - so these tests were with plain oil. Usually only use it in the main cook though not the base so far.

BTW - This base really does produce a massive amount of oil, you should have seen the mess round the cooker last night - OMG!

Cheers all :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 12:04 PM »
I will say though, that I need to find a new favourite TA, because this combination absolutely shat on their Madras without a second thought!
Now that is the best news in a long while  ;D
** Phil.

Hi Phil

TBH, surprised myself - this produces some fantastic results straight out of the box!

I think a lot of people are really going to be very pleasantly surprised with what they get out of this project :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Hi SP,

IMO the Deggi powder that I have tried seemed to be quite mild, really just a hot Paprika? - we may need to discuss this further!

We need to be careful here.  It's been discussed before.  If your are using the MDH brand, there are two to look out for

1) Deggi Mirch http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-MDH-Deggi-Mirch.html

2) Kashmiri Mirch http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-MDH-Kashmiri-Mirch.html

They are both described as chilli powder, but for me, the kashmiri mirch IS more like paprika, whereas the Deggi mirch is the hotter one!

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2011, 12:35 PM »
They are both described as chilli powder, but for me, the kashmiri mirch IS more like paprika, whereas the Deggi mirch is the hotter one!
That would also fit with Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi's recommendations, where he talks about using Kashmiri ground chillies for their colour, not for their heat (i.e., one can add more Kashmiri ground chillies to a dish, in order to get a more saturated red colour, than with other hotter ground chillies such as Deggi Mirch).  MDH themselves have this to say :

Quote from: http://mdhspices.com/recipe.htm
DEGGI MIRCH .......................................................... Red Chilli Powder for Curries

Deggi Mirch is a unique, age old blend, processed from special varieties of colourful Indian red chillies. It is mild-hot and imparts glowing natural red colour to curried dishes making them attractive and more palatable. For best results fry chopped onions in oil till golden. Then add chopped tomatoes and Deggi Mirch. Stir till it is homogenised, and imparts the red colour. Then proceed with your normal cooking. If not using tomatoes, reduce flame, add Deggi Mirch and as soon as it imparts colour, proceed further.

Ingredients : Red Chilli Powder

KASHMIRI MIRCH .................................................... Red Chilli Powder for Curries                      

Exotic Kashmiri Mirch is a special blend of medium hot quality Red Pepper that is used for Tandoori (Clay oven) preparations. When used in curry it imparts bright red colour making food more appealing and palatable. It is added to marinade for marinating and to frying onions along with chopped tomatoes while preparing curries.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Hi Ray & Phil

Thanks for the clarification! - looks like I got them the wrong way around!

Must try and think of a way to remember which way round they go in future :)

EDIT: Yes, obviously I need to plug my brain in, that is why the Zeera recipe calls for 1 heaped tablespoon of kashmiri chilli powder in order to get the necessary heat!

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Hi Mick

Is the Methi in powdered or leaf form please?

Taz takes a good pinch and kind of rubs the methi between his fingers, some of the leaves are crumbled to powder some aren't.
Regards,
Mick

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Hi SP, I appreciate you taking time to do the side-by-side comparison of fry first versus reduction on it's own.

It kind of blows Bruce Edwards advice out of the water, something I have suspected for some time. I've watched loads of youtube videos of traditional Indian cooking and they are extremely cautious about frying spice powders and always quick to add water to the frying spices to stop them from burning.

Also, when using this much chilli powder do we drop back on the spice mix quantity?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

As you know, the heat in a madras can vary wildly, depending where you go, if you think it needs more then add more.
I would keep the amount for the mix powder the same as the recipe.
Regards,
Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes