Author Topic: Balti Chicken Madras  (Read 7461 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Balti Chicken Madras
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 04:54 PM »
Chris,

wow this is some curry and so very different to the "tomato, garlic, ginger" type i'm used to. i put it in the fine dining class.

i was particularly interested in the high proportion of fresh ginger (3") and spices (3 tbsp c/w my norm say max 2 tsp for the qty of base). i was also interested in the sun dried tomato which i like and use in other non Indian recipes with good success. i was amazed that the ginger, spices & sun dried all worked very well.

the Chopped Onion and Coconut (i used cream block) also added a very nice touch. i dipped out on the chilli using only 2 (see below).

my only thought when i make again is to reduce the qty of curry leaves in the balti masala. it may well be what some would rave for or a key part of the intended taste of the dish but for me their taste stuck out too much (would change from 20 leaves to say 5 or ~1 tsp max). i also might change the spice ration to 50:50 balti masal:madras masala from the existing 2:1. and of course for me - star anise goes in all.

with these small tweaks this would be a top notch curry for me. many thanks for the post.

Nb caution i had difficulty making the chilli paste with my hand held mixer as the released vapour in the air got my throat - must do is to use a covered grinder. I knew about the safety guidelines for grinding chilli but wrongly thought the water cover would be enough.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 05:07 PM »
This recipe sounds great. I'll being having a bash at this one in the very near future. As always, I'll take loads of pics to let you see how I get on... 8)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Nice One. I am only allowed to make Curry at weekends so need to wait till friday night until I can do some more :D argh

©2024 Curry Recipes