Author Topic: Lahori murgh cholay (thanks to Sumayya Usmani)  (Read 1185 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Lahori murgh cholay (thanks to Sumayya Usmani)
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:02 AM »
Lahori murgh cholay (thanks to Sumayya Usmani)
Chickpea and chicken curry

I cooked this last night for my daughters who were round for a Curryfest and it went down really well. The recipe is from summers under the tamarind tree, recipes and memoirs from Pakistan. It is a book I have had and perused for a while now but this is the first recipe I have cooked from it. There is a cooking method involved requiring the cook to fry off all the liquid that is released from the chicken so I would suggest that rather than using a saucepan with a lid you use a wide deep frying pan or similar with a lid.
I cheated and used two tins of chickpeas for convenience; not too sure if that is more or less than 500g of dried cooked peas, the small amount of masoor went in with water and was cooked to the point of disintegration. I also used a little over 1kg of bone in thighs which I believe holds up better to the long frying off process. I used the full 500ml of water as it was needed to cover the contents of the pan, but reduced it during the last 5 or 10 minutes. But this is the recipe as it appears.

500 g of dried chickpeas
1 tablespoon masoor dal
Half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50 ml vegetable oil (I used 3 tablespoons of ghee)
1 heaped teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
1 inch piece of cinnamon
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon of grated ginger
1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
1 kg chicken, Skinned and cut into four pieces.
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
Half a teaspoon of turmeric
Salt to taste (I use 1 teaspoon of Malden sea salt) 1 teaspoon garam masala
500 ml water

To garnish
Ginger matchsticks
Chopped coriander leaves
2 hard boiled eggs (optional)

Soak the chickpeas overnight in a bowl of water. The next day, put the chickpeas, masoor dal and Bicarbonate  of soda into a large saucepan with enough water to cover and bring to the boil. Cook until the chickpeas are soft then drain and set aside.

Heat your oil in a saucepan with a lid over a medium heat. When hot, add the cumin, coriander and cinnamon and fry until the spices splutter. Add the onions, ginger and garlic and fry for 8 to 10 minutes until golden. Add the chicken and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken is brown and all the liquid dries up. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, salt and garam masala and  continue frying until the spices begin to stick to the base of the pan.

Add the water, bring to the boil, then add the chickpeas and masoor dal stir. Cover the pan with the lid, turn the heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. You may need to add more water as it cooks to ensure that you are left with a substantial curry. Once the oil rises to the top, turn off the heat, garnish with ginger julienne,  coriander and eggs and serve hot with naan.

©2024 Curry Recipes