Author Topic: Best Curry Pan Yet!!!  (Read 21957 times)

Offline kbmason79

• Chef
    • View Profile
Best Curry Pan Yet!!!
« on: March 09, 2013, 04:50 PM »
Hi Fellow curry lovers,

I thought I would post this link in order to help people find and buy the best curry pan for BIR home style curries.
The pan is a 9"(23 Cm) commercial aluminium fry/omelette pan with wooden handle. total cost ?15.25 inc vat and delivery.

http://dadibhais.com/index.php/kitchen/cookware/frying-omelette-pans/aluminium-omelette-pan/commercail-aluminium-frying-omelette-pan-no3-9-wooden-handle.html

Although there is no pics on the website I have included some of my own.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best Curry Pan Yet!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Looks exactly the same as my pan (and many of those in use by other forum members) which i bought for

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Looks exactly the same as my pan (and many of those in use by other forum members) which i bought for

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:34 AM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:00 PM »
(Aluminium pans)
Also agreed!

Oh G@d, have I /really/ got to go out and buy one of these if I am to achieve consistently great curries ?  Why can't it just be an myth so I can keep using my wonderful Waitrose steel deep rounded pan without wondering if I am wasting my time ?!

** Phil.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I came to this thread through a picture link on the bottom of the page today and saw it was an old thread from 2013.

Are aluminium pans a necessity to recreate a good BIR?

I use an induction hob so I couldn't make use of an Ali' pan, but I must admit that I get better trad results from cast iron cookware. Certainly get onions browned quicker with a lot less hot spots.

T63

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Are aluminium pans a necessity to recreate a good BIR?
Some believe/assert so; I do not.

I use an induction hob so I couldn't make use of an Ali' pan, but I must admit that I get better trad results from cast iron cookware. Certainly get onions browned quicker with a lot less hot spots.
I am fairly certain that I have an Aldi-sourced Crofton aluminium frying pan (24 cm) with ceramic non-stick lining and induction-compatible base. Amazon have something similar at less than
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:36 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 09:44 PM »
I just flogged my last Meyer professional aluminium alloy pan that I originally bought to make curries in. Basically i'm not taking any chances with the possible aluminium - Alzheimer's connection. I'm dopey enough without that adding to my woes.

And, no, I don't believe there is any truth in the ali-pan being most suited for BIR results myth. The technique that works and adds to the BIR result, in any pan, is to leave the curry to boil/fry away at high heat without stirring it for a good while. That's why the chefs always seem so casual when you watch them because they know that you can/must leave the curry to cook itself for a while without being disturbed.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Alzheimer's... I don't need that on top of the forgettory, I'll stick with the cast iron thank you!

T63

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Alzheimer's... I don't need that on top of the forgettory, I'll stick with the cast iron thank you!

T63
Aluminium doesn't give you Alzheimers. The theory (and that's all it ever was) has been completely dismissed

©2024 Curry Recipes