Author Topic: That smokey background flavour  (Read 5515 times)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: That smokey background flavour
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Nickywelsh I think they're just using the traditional dhungar method whereby you do indeed drop a hot coal into oil and let the resultant smoke cloud infuse into the  (covered)  dish. It's used to good effect in dhansak dishes usually.

The oil istelf isn't used directly, at least not in the traditional method, but it can be infused with garlic, cardamom, cloves etc. before adding the coal somewhat like you describe. It's certainly worth a try if you haven't done it before.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Hey, welcome back BB1 -- "long time, no hear" :)
** Phil.

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 09:17 PM »
There is one thing missing when we cook currys at home is the high burners they use in takeaways.....Food is basically flamed grilled also the reason why we cant get Chinese food to taste the same ,For years I've came across posts like this with people saying it never tastes the same as my takeaway ..Chefs who frequent this site will tell you can get the same flavour without high heat but then again they are selling a product...Some people are using outdoor burners which will do the job.. ....While extremely high heat is necessary it's a lot more difficult than simply raising the flame temperature.....The pan and oil has to be at the correct temperature for the pan to ignite...There are loads of videos on here that will demonstrate this ....The amount of oil added is important: too much and the food will be fried,  The reason a flame ignites is due to the water on the ingredients causing fine oil droplets that mix with the oxygen in the air coming into contact with the flames The flame is necessary to create that singed, smoky taste that we are all accustomed to when buying from a takeaway......Boaby....

©2024 Curry Recipes